Making games in XNA and being paid for it

Started by
41 comments, last by NickGravelyn 15 years, 8 months ago
Just sharing some great news ;-) We can know make games publish them and get paid :-) Nice http://creators.xna.com/en-us/news/communitygameslaunch
Advertisement
Wait a minute...we can't offer our games for free on XBL Community Games???

EDIT: Just checked the FAQ...there's no way to offer games for free. This changes things quite a bit for my current project, and not in good ways.
There has to be a demo mode of the game, like the current XBLA games. Perhaps you can make the demo version of the game do whatever you need it to do. I don't know how the demo mode will be enforced, though -- we'll have to wait and see.

You can also distribute a ccgame for Xbox to anyone else for free, but they will need Game Studio Express to play it then.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Yeah have a demo mode is nice, it should help games get some more exposure even if people aren't willing to buy. My pain problem is really with logistics: I currently have a lot of people on my team just doing odds and ends, and it would be very hard to turn that into something where I can divy up revenues in a fair way.
Wow...that is really cool news.

----------

[lol] I just checked my email to see that I'd heard about this 7hrs before it was public, but I read it 12hrs after that. Oh well...

MJP - interesting point you raise there. For teams where splitting cash is non-trivial this could pose some pretty awkward decisions. Short of some middle-man/arbitrator I don't see how it'd work without trust?!

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers

MJP - interesting point you raise there. For teams where splitting cash is non-trivial this could pose some pretty awkward decisions. Short of some middle-man/arbitrator I don't see how it'd work without trust?!

I've talked with most of my team about it, and so far I think the best option for us is to simply donate all the revenues to charity. I'm going to see if there's someone at Microsoft I can talk to about getting the revenues donated directly so I can avoid setting up an account and ensure that we won't have to pay any taxes, otherwise my team seems to trust me not to run off with the check. [smile]
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
There has to be a demo mode of the game, like the current XBLA games. Perhaps you can make the demo version of the game do whatever you need it to do. I don't know how the demo mode will be enforced, though -- we'll have to wait and see.

The trial mode is enforced as a time based trial. Any further details aren't known as of now. The XNA team did say that they will be watching for people trying to game the system and, as such, it probably isn't a good idea to try and go that route as there will likely be consequences for it.
If I pay for the CC club to get my game on there, do I have to keep paying every year to keep it there?
Quote:Original post by Daaark
If I pay for the CC club to get my game on there, do I have to keep paying every year to keep it there?
I have not heard an official answer on this. I will make a point to ask one of the XNA team tomorrow at GameFest.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement