• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
caldiar

"Pixelating" - From Mesh to Sprite

This topic is 3711 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been thinking lately about how much I hate how there's been such an intense focus on trying to make graphics more realistic. Because of this, I thought it would be amusing to add an option for players to render the world in a pixelated view. However, I dont think simply rendering at a low resolution would create this effect. I want to see something like a 3D mesh be converted into a sprite on the fly while still letting players adjust resolution. I was wondering if anybody had some ideas on a way to go about this. Input, as always, is appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
Go look for Mega Man 9 by capcom. It is completely in 8-bit and is a new game coming out soon (I believe).

You could render the hole scene to a low res texture and copy it without any filering to the backbuffer (if you use DirectX with D3DDevice->StretchRect()).
The user can still set the screen resolution to a arbitrary value, but everything will be pixelated.

Hi caldiar, you can try to render the mesh into a texture first then apply a pixelate post process to that texture. You can then additive blend the result (assuming that the clear color when rendering to a texture is black) to the main color buffer. I found a very good pixelate post process effect on NVIDIA's 9.5 sdk effect samples named "scene_tiles". Or you could just use a low resolution texture for your render target and don't do any post processing. I actually tried doing this "old school" effect myself, it's just not perfect yet :D. Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm going to experiment with rendering in low-res to a texture and take a look at the scene_tile postprocess effect.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!