Dinamically change the level of detail

Started by
2 comments, last by Lord_Evil 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi to everyone. I'm working to optimize an OpenGL-based 3D seafloor viewer application I've wrote times ago. I need to do that due is it possible that the mesh I have to display could be made up of more than 3 millions of vertexes so it took a lot of time to render. I'm already using vertex buffer objects and I've implemented a frustum culling system to remove the parts that are not visible (the mesh is made up of 1 or more tiles depending on the size). However, when the camera is far away I need to render the whole mesh in high detail and this is a mess... when you are far away you cannot distinguish them... So I'm wandering if someone knows a smart way to reduce the level of detain (i.e. the number of vertexes to process) basing on the distance of the mesh from the camera... Is there any OpenGL extension suitable to be used (better if it is commonly supported ona all GPUs) or maybe someone knows where to find an article/book that explains how to do that (or at least give some guidelines) Thank you very much!
Bye and Thanks!SiS.Professional Software Developer.
Advertisement
You might want to look into progressive meshes.
AFAIK, there's no OpenGL extension that can used for that. With SM 4.0's geometry shaders there might be a GPU solution.
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
I owe you a beer! Thank you very much!
Bye and Thanks!SiS.Professional Software Developer.
OK, next time in Italy i remind you [grin]
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement