Gems series of books.

Started by
5 comments, last by XVincentX 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi Folks - Quick question for those who are fans of the GPU Gems series of books. I'm an application programmer for a living, but one of my hobbies is graphics programming. I like to mess around implementing specific techniques and algorithms in small projects. This is why I was attracted to the GPU Gems series. I baught the third one first without really thinking. My question is - should I be absorbing all the material in the first and second iteration of the series before going to the third? Are the three books independent of each other? Does material overlap? Should I be learning and implementing the techniques in the first two so that I can understand the techniques in the third? Eric
[size="1"]"For any absurd set of thinking, you can probably find a non-zero percentage of the population who is utterly convinced of its truth."
Advertisement
The GPUGems series is a collection of essays. Not only are the books unrelated but the articles with in the book are more or less unrelated, outside of the obvious fact that they are all graphics related.
Yeah, I realize that, I guess the question would be better phrased this way: Since the first book is oldest, is the technology discussed in the essays easier to understand/implement than the third book, which obviously discusses much newer technologies because its a newer book? In other words, would the third book be more beneficial having already implemented techniques in the first and or second?

Eric
[size="1"]"For any absurd set of thinking, you can probably find a non-zero percentage of the population who is utterly convinced of its truth."
The first and most of the second are online over at nvidia.com

If you are new to HLSL programming the earlier books are probably better. I've found the later one to be a bit complex.
Yeah, thats what I was getting at. I am an experienced programmer but I am new to HLSL so I was thinking I should take a look at the first book before going for the third.
The ShaderX series are rather good too.
You could probably skip the first one. The second one is a really good start.
I believe that is hosted on GameDev somewhere.
In my opinion, GPU Gems it's too generic and does not give any kind of help.
The theory is not well-explained, is not API specific so it's a little bit more difficult and few real and complete examples.
Attiention: it's only my opinion and mabye all my mistakes are provoked from my incomplete english language understanding

However, the first 2 books are free on developers.nvidia.com; so it's a good choice to buy the ShaderX series.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement