• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Obbedemus

PhysX vs. Bullet (again...)

This topic is 3797 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yes, I know, this question has been asked a trillion times before. But so far, I haven't found any satisfying, despite several hours of research. We're doing an FPS and decided to use OGRE as render engine, but needs a physics engine and I have narrowed down the options to PhysX and Bullet. So, which one to use? From what I've gathered: PhysX: Pros: Fast, reliable, accurate. Cons: Not OpenSource. Bullet: Pros: OpenSource, accurate, reliable. Cons: Not as fast. The choice might seem obvious, but I'd rather like open source. How big is the difference in performance? Relative, but I mean, generally... Some of the facts might be old, since I've been looking through quite a lot of forums with old posts, etc. Is this info up-to-date? Any help appreciated! Sorry for asking this again, but I just can't decide. I need to be convinced to use "an evil corporations tool for control". Kinda...

Advertisement
Why not use Havok. Personally I don't see that open-source is a point since you need a decent understanding of physic simulation to change or extend an open-source library. If you don't have this you will simply use the open-source library like any other closed-source system.

You say you want to do a FPS game, so I would take these arguments into account:

1) Havok ships with tools for Maya, Max and XSI
2) Havok ships with an animation library (e.g. ragdolls that can stand up)
3) Havok ships with a battle tested character controller for FPS games
4) Support using the public forum
5) Lots of code examples and a decent documentation

Just imagine how quick you can get things up and running using Havok with Ogre. Besides this Havok is a mature and battle-tested library used in many very successful games, so you will hardly run into any bugs. If you are not a professional game developer you can also learn a lot from using such a system.

If you have further questions just have a look here:
http://tryhavok.intel.com/

HTH,
-Dirk

Using an open source engine has advantages other than giving you the ability to write mods and extensions. Having black boxes in your code can make it very difficult to trace and debug issues, so that's something else to consider, especially since unless you buy a liscence you wont be getting any support.

If you want documentation, go with PhysX or Havok.

If you want a simple installation experience for the user, go with Bullet or Havok. PhysX requires a driver to be installed.

If you like trawling through mostly uncommented code, go with Bullet.

If you want a proven physics engine, go with PhysX or Havok.

If you want to sell your product and not pay a license fee, go with Bullet, PhysX or Havok (subject to conditions).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!