• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mspg

C++ or Java for a small-scale RPG game

This topic is 3712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am thinking of developing a small-scale RPG game for my own leisure on PC platform, but I am unsure whether I should program using Java or C++, any advices? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Depending on your experience I'd go with C++ or C#, but Java or flash if its web based.

XNA has an rpg starter kit you could look at.

The simple answer: both languages can be used to develop a simple game. Your best bet is therefore to use the language which guarantees the best productivity given your current skills.

The detailed answer: chalk up a small list of features that you would like to implement in that game (try to limit yourself to three or four pages tops). Then, for each of these features, determine how long it would take to develop in each language (taking into account the use of existing codebases, libraries, engines or frameworks). Add up the totals, and pick the language with the lowest development time.

If you are more competent in one language than in the other, the end result is that you'll choose the language which you master. If you know both languages equally well, a game that is complex on the graphics side will benefit from an existing 3D engine (of which C++ has more than Java), while a game that is complex on the logic side will benefit from a more expressive language with a larger standard library (which would be the case for Java rather than C++).

Use the language you are most interested in, I would use c++. But that's because I already know some of it.

If you can ask this in the first place you could probably do better with Java.
But yes, C# is something to consider as well. Java (or more specifically, it's implementations) still suffer from some quirks here and there and the various JVMs around seem to confuse people quite a bit.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!