• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GenuineXP

Help with bjam (Boost.Build) and Jamfiles

This topic is 3617 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to create a set of Jamfiles to build my project, but I find most of the tutorials and documentation to be a little cryptic and too feature-oriented than practical. Anyway, my question is simple. How do I link a project to an existing library? For example, I need to like to the ld and boost_filesystem libraries (i.e., g++ ... -lld -lboost_filesystem). ld already exists. It should not require any special building options or target names... right? I thought the boost_filesystem library would be available as /boost/filesystem//fs (this name is used in the Boost docs), but alas it isn't found. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? How would I link against SDL and SDLmain? Or GL? Or ILU? These are not parts of my project, but bjam seems to treat every single name I provide as if it ought to be. Thanks!

Advertisement
Bump.

If anyone has any links to bjam/Jamfile tutorials that they think are worthwhile, please post them. I'm still having headaches over here trying to get things to work. I already see the benefits of using this build system (seems better than Makefiles), but it still feels very unwieldy to me... probably because I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'd like to know how to link to arbitrary libraries, how to pass specific options to specific toolchains, and details about using the install command (I've got it working for a single subproject, but if I try to use it anywhere else, I get tons of cryptic errors).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!