• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Instigator

Building a Computer .. 5-6 Sata?

This topic is 3716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking to build a Server that will support 5 or 6 Sata drives.. I asked the local Network Admin at work (he builds servers too).. he says that they're non-existent unless I use SCSI drives. Do you guys know of any good motherboards / a case, that will hold and support 5 or 6 of these babies?

Advertisement
Your local net admin seems to be forgetting that you can get pci-e and pci-x sata controller cards. Theoretically, if you have enough slots you could get upwards of 10-16 drives before you have to do anything too fancy (like splitting up an 8x or 16x slot into multiple slots).
As for cases, your average server case usually supports around 8 drives. My Xclio case supports 6 i believe. I currently have 5 drives running in my home computer, 4 Raptor X's and one 150 gig WD. And 3 servers i have at work have 6-7 drives per server, all sata for the good money/performance ratio.

Many of the newer nForce and Intel boards have 6 SATA ports.

SCSI? Your local network admin still seems to be living in the 90's...

Quote:
Original post by Nypyren
Many of the newer nForce and Intel boards have 6 SATA ports.

SCSI? Your local network admin still seems to be living in the 90's...

Yeah, i was thinking the same. Though maybe he meant SAS (Serial Attached SCSI)? While SCSI is still widely used, its quickly giving way to SAS, and SATA as a cheaper solution, especially with the addition of NCQ through AHCI (God there are too many acronyms in the tech world).

The Antec P180 has 6 internal 3.5s, plus an external that I'm assuming could hold a hard drive easy enough. A lot of motherboards seem to be sporting 4 SATA ports, and expansion boards should fill up the rest of your needs nicely.

Quote:
Original post by Instigator
I'm looking to build a Server that will support 5 or 6 Sata drives.. I asked the local Network Admin at work (he builds servers too).. he says that they're non-existent unless I use SCSI drives.

O Rly?

Please relay the following URL to him.

Quote:

Do you guys know of any good motherboards / a case, that will hold and support 5 or 6 of these babies?

ASUS Motherboard with 6 SATA

I like ASUS, but if you look through Newegg Motherboards (using your preferred brand) I'm sure you'll find a motherboard that meets your requirements. Ditto for cases.

EDIT: Clickly Linky.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!