• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sayallenthing

New deployment question

This topic is 3620 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First of all, I apologize if there's an exact thread like this. I briefly looked around. I made a small tetris game in Visual C++ 2008 with SDL. I tried to send it to my brother and it didn't work. I looked into it, and figured out you have to do a lot just to send it. I originally just sent the debug folder (because it has an .exe) and that's how I'd play it on my computer, with of course the sounds and pictures I used for the game. Basically I just want to send a folder with the contents needed to my brother's computer, I've packed up some DLL's based on what dependency walker suggested, and put them into the folders, I've read the MSDN documentation on delployment, but found it too complicated for my seemingly simple task, I just have a few yes or no questions to help me out. 1: The MSDN kept talking about a program called xcopy, to redistribute the libraries, on the target computer. Can I just pick out the .lib files I linked to my program, and put them into the folder with my game? 2: Do I need to bring any include files I may have used? 3: are there any more factors I need to know?(keep in mind, I don't care to use an installer or anything fancy, just bring the files that he would need to double click the .exe like I can to have it work) thank you

Advertisement
xcopy is old geek speak for just copy nothing special added. What you need are the dlls nothing else(well and the exe). All of them found by dep walker. the vc++ redistributable should help.

First of all, don't use the debug build. There's no way to run a debug build on a PC that doesn't have Visual C++ installed.

Once you've made your Release build, zip up all your stuff and make sure all your SDL .dll's are included in that zip (in the same folder as the executable). Then either tell your friend to download the VC++ 2008 Redistributable, or download it yourself and put it in the zip. Either way, make sure your friend runs that before running your game.

First of all, thanks for the quick replies.

I've come across new problems.

1: I made my release build, and threw all the dll's in there. Do I just send the release folder? or do I have to zip up my whole project folder?

2: sending just the release folder, with dll's in it, the program shuts down, claiming that it can't find the .png images. I have no idea where to put these. Back on my computer, if I try to run the .exe that's in the release folder, the .png files need to be in the release folder. Do I need to make a specific destination to load them from while on the target's computer, or is there a way to just take them from the directory the exe was launched from?

3: When I include any SDL_ttf stuff, the program crashes (but runs fine on my computer) with a send/don't send error. I've commented out anything using SDL_ttf, just for the time being, until I can get ANYTHING to load on the target computer?

any answers would be appreciated, thanks

[Edited by - sayallenthing on July 23, 2008 10:18:37 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!