Combat-locked Abilities

Started by
0 comments, last by Gyrthok 15 years, 9 months ago
For an MMO, I was thinking of a combat system somewhat similar to Guild Wars. I've heard that Guild Wars has the player choose a limited number of skills to use during combat, and that out of combat they can be swapped for skills appropriate for each encounter. So, I'm currently working on a simple way of building your own spells. You could craft these spells when you're in a city or out of danger, and arrange custom hotbars of abilities for certain situations. It seems more strategic than Warcraft's extreme number of skills, and having all of them loaded onto four hotbars. I can't even find the skill I'm looking for. My question is specifically about the combat-locked skills. If you play Guild Wars, please tell me whether you liked it, or found it frustrating. Personally, I think I would find it a little irritating unless I could have 12-18 skills (probably just a preference from playing WoW). Just wondering how this system appeals to you as a player, and as a developer. I find it best to run these concepts by a wide variety of people.
Advertisement
Quote:I've heard that Guild Wars has the player choose a limited number of skills to use during combat, and that out of combat they can be swapped for skills appropriate for each encounter.

Thats not entirely accurate, players could swap skills in town, but not when traveling cross-country or in missions. If you haven't tried it yourself, i have a trial-key lying around i'm not likely to ever use.

Quote:My question is specifically about the combat-locked skills. If you play Guild Wars, please tell me whether you liked it, or found it frustrating. Personally, I think I would find it a little irritating unless I could have 12-18 skills (probably just a preference from playing WoW).

I'd say it was pretty fun, no skill was ever useless in GW unlike in WoW were a number of skills were just "upgrades" to existing ones. So with 800+ skills that interact with each other to a degree, it was pretty fun to swap/mix/match combinations to see what worked well in some area's or not. If there were 12-18 skills allowed it would dramatically increase the number of possible combinations (and exponentially increase the task of balancing said combinations).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement