• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Theodore Fuhringer

Windows game dev using VB '05 Express questions

This topic is 3623 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all. I have been learning to use VB.net via Microsoft's VB 2005 Express and I'm just getting to the point where I can sometimes write a line of code without having to reference a book or tutorial. Until now I have only used the basic forms controls to do anything, including using PictureBox to display graphics. (I know, primitive, but hey I'm still learning) I am coding at the hobbyist level only for Windows only. So how do I make the jump from windows programming to game programming? (Simple 2D game programming) I have tried installing DirectX 9 SDK and have looked into it but it makes my head hurt and not one single DirectX book or tutorial I have found works correctly with VB Express. Not one ever. I throw up my hands in disgust. I want to 1) use bitmaps(sprites) and 2) add sound. I know there has to simpler API than DirectX but lord help me if I can find it. I am not going to use C# and XNA at this time, thanks. Maybe later. I want to solve the problem with the resources I have. I just want to know how to do the two basic "gamey" things... manipulate bitmap graphics and play sounds, and I want to do it in VB.net. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Didn't there used to be a Win32 API for graphics and sound once? Is it still supported? If so where is it? If not, what alternatives to DirectX are there when using VB.net? Thanks very much for your help!

Advertisement
You can readup on GDI+ for something really really basic. If you want to use DirectX you can read up on Managed DirectX which is deprecated and no longer being supported or updated by Microsoft...but you can still use it.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

Thanks Eeyore. I searched for and found GDI+ in the VS Express documentation. That looks like it might fit the bill for graphics! Now to figure out how to use it lol.

EDIT: I also discovered "My.Computer.Audio.Play(…)" for primitive sound playing, but it ahs problems. If you "publish" the app the sound files don't go with it. Can't figure out how to make a sound file a reference. Hmm. Must be another way.

[Edited by - Theodore Fuhringer on July 23, 2008 7:07:37 PM]

If you want to make the jump from simple WinForms applications towards game, I suggest you upgrade to XNA Game Studio Express and read up on XNA.

XNA is aimed at hobbyist developers, makes it much easier to kickstart game development and there are a lot of people using it for game development, thus you'll have a large support community.

Toolmaker

Quote:
Original post by Eeyore
You can readup on GDI+ for something really really basic. If you want to use DirectX you can read up on Managed DirectX which is deprecated and no longer being supported or updated by Microsoft...but you can still use it.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

Managed DirectX is deprecated, yes. That is where SlimDX comes in:

http://slimdx.mdxinfo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

And it is accessible from VB.net.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!