• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fluke

pow alternative

This topic is 3736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

first off, this is actually two questions in one (all c/c++ related): 1) suppose i'm calling this a few million times: pow(x,.125); given what you know about numbers (probably a whole lot more than me), how can this be sped up? or can it? 2) also, i need an general purpose alternative to float pow(float,float);. i've searched the web and found some very elaborate versions that supposedly offer better performance at a reduced precision (which is EXACTLY what i need), however none of them seem to produce faster results in my benchmark tests. if you've got a nice alternative pow function in your library, i'd love to see it! inline assembly versions warmly welcomed :)

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by fluke
1) suppose i'm calling this a few million times:

pow(x,.125);

given what you know about numbers (probably a whole lot more than me), how can this be sped up? or can it?

Can you change your algorithm to call it fewer times?
What properties does x have?

Just a thought really, have you profiled against:

sqrt(sqrt(sqrt(x)));

It might be possible, though I wouldn't know how, for someone else here optimise for the octic root of a number.

because that function call would easily approach accuracy problems with IEEE754 would an approximation be sufficient? the most obvious one I can think of is Newton Raphson; see the Quake3 source code for Carmackien/Abrashien implementation (which you can probably bet is fast..)

see: http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/8/

[EDIT: might also give you some ideas about how you could implement a faster pow(float,float) ?]

Quote:
Original post by dmatter
Quote:
Original post by fluke
1) suppose i'm calling this a few million times:

pow(x,.125);

given what you know about numbers (probably a whole lot more than me), how can this be sped up? or can it?

Can you change your algorithm to call it fewer times?
What properties does x have?

Just a thought really, have you profiled against:

sqrt(sqrt(sqrt(x)));

It might be possible, though I wouldn't know how, for someone else here optimise for the octic root of a number.

dmatter, unfortunately the algorithm cannot be called fewer times.

i tried sqrt(sqrt(sqrt(x))); and it actually offered a slight performance boost.

where a typical result might yeild a turn-around time of 38891ms, your method resulted in a 32907ms turn-around. i know it's all out of context here, but while that's not the optimal performance increase i was looking for - it is certainly much better than what i had!

and silvermace, yes, approximations are quite fine. i'll take a look at the link you provided. thanks!

this is actually a pretty interesting optimisation problem.. I wonder if you could use SSE to calculate the square roots 4 elements at time? I think there is an unbreakable circular dependency there though, because x is a function of its previous value...

A first attempt seems to be about twice as fast as std::pow(x,.125):
#include <cmath>

struct EighthRoot {
double input;

double f_over_f_prime(double x) {
double x2=x*x;
double x4=x2*x2;
double x6=x4*x2;
double x7=x6*x;
double x8=x4*x4;

return (x8-input)/(8.0*x7);
}

public:
EighthRoot(double input) : input(input) {
}

operator double () {
union {
long long as_long_long;
double as_double;
} hackish_union;
hackish_union.as_double = input;
hackish_union.as_long_long -= 0x3ff0000000000000ll;
hackish_union.as_long_long >>= 3;
hackish_union.as_long_long += 0x3ff0000000000000ll;

double x = hackish_union.as_double;
for(unsigned i=0;i<3;++i) {
x -= f_over_f_prime(x);
}
return x;
}
};

int main() {
std::cout << EighthRoot(1000.0) << '\n';
}

Quote:
Original post by fluke
i tried sqrt(sqrt(sqrt(x))); and it actually offered a slight performance boost.
In that case then, besides getting an actual octic rooter function, you can be looking into finding optimised/approximated sqrt functions - of which I'm sure there are plenty.

Of course, if x has any usable properties then there could be far simpler optimisations. For example, if x only ever takes on a handful of different values, then you can perform the calculations in advance and just conditionally select the correct one. I suspect that's hoping for too much though.

This is a bit better.
#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>

class EighthRoot {
double input;

double f_over_f_prime(double x) {
double x2=x*x;
double x4=x2*x2;
double x8=x4*x4;

return .125*x*(1.0-input/x8);
}

public:
EighthRoot(double input) : input(input) {
}

operator double () {
// Find first guess by basically shifting the exponent part of the
// double by 3 (I don't really care much about the rest of the double)
union {
long long as_long_long;
double as_double;
} hackish_union;
hackish_union.as_double = input;
hackish_union.as_long_long >>= 3;
hackish_union.as_long_long += 0x37F2000000000000ll;
// I am sure one could find a slightly better constant

double x = hackish_union.as_double;
x -= f_over_f_prime(x);
x -= f_over_f_prime(x);
// Repeat more times for extra accuracy

return x;
}
};

int main() {
std::cout << EighthRoot(1000.0) << '\n';
}

Ah, nevermind. What I posted is only marginally faster than sqrt(sqrt(sqrt(x))) and significantly less precise. A better magic constant is 0x37f1504f333fa37ell, but it's not much better.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!