Book recommendations for learning C++

Started by
27 comments, last by Cromulent 15 years, 8 months ago
Ok, Basically I am new to C++ programming and I have just a little experience with programming, learned basic and some intermediate stuff of QBasic. I would like to know any books that you would recommend for a beginner learning C++, also, any books that I should read that may not be just C++, like Algorithms.
-----------------------------------------"With the mind, anything is possible"
Advertisement
SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days has been good to me so far. Easy to understand and well written.
C++ Primer Plus by Steven Prata has always been a great reference and is extremely easy to read.
-----------------------Or, as I put it, MMORPG's are currently about attaining two primary things: strength and a shovel. The rest is you just shoveling sh** endlessly trying to get stronger to shovel more sh** so you can look for the next new shovel to shovel more sh** with. Once you are done, you can stand on top of a large pile of sh**, raise your golden sh** shoveler up high into the air and boast how proud you are to be the best sh** shoveler of them all. -Griffin_Kemp
+1 for the learn c++ in 21 days book, jesse liberty's book is extremely well written and concise. It is by far the best beginner c++ book I've seen, and this was the 2nd edition so by now that book must be even better.

I've been through multiple different books and the way jesse liberty presents his material is excellent, i can full recommend the c++ book and his c# book.

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In Practice, they never are."
My Technical Blog : http://www.takinginitiative.net/

Mike Dawson C++ book best for beginners IMO.
If you really want to go hardcore and learn the language inside out though get the Stroustroup book or "C++ Primer" 3rd edition from Lippman.

[Edited by - daviangel on July 25, 2008 3:00:00 PM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
The C++ Programming Language, Special Edition - Bjarne Stroustrup - always seems to come highly recommended.

While maybe not for beginners, I would recommend the following books on C++. They may be a little daunting to the beginner but they are definately worth the read at some point (IMHO).

Exceptional C++ - Herb Sutter
More Exceptional C++: 40 More Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems, and Solutions - Herb Sutter
Modern C++ Design: Applied Generic and Design Patterns - Herb Sutter
C++ Coding Standards : Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices - Herb Sutter, Andrei Alesandrescu
Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs - Scott Meyers
More Effective C++: 35 New Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs - Scott Meyers
Exceptional C++ style: 40 New Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems and Solutions - Herb Sutter

After reading all the books acadestuff mentioned, I'd recommend reading:
C++ Template Metaprogramming: Concepts, Tools, and Techniques from Boost and Beyond - David Abrahams, Aleksey Gurtovoy

It's a really great read.
Go with Thinking in C++ books by Bruce Eckel. First one will make you know C++ good, second will make you good C++ coder (it also teaches important idioms, patterns and introduces to cocnurent programming). Really great books.

p.s. they are free :) (but worth buying)

p.s. 2 later do ALL acadestuff says :)
Quote:Original post by ajm0528
SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days has been good to me so far. Easy to understand and well written.

I always loved SAMS books, but their title is a lie.
[size="2"]SignatureShuffle: [size="2"]Random signature images on fora
If you are new to programming, I would highly recommend 'Code Complete' from Steve McConnell.

It tought me a lot about good programming practise, design and other stuff!

[Edited by - shrnjad on July 24, 2008 12:20:08 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement