Nintendo DS Questions

Started by
3 comments, last by frob 15 years, 9 months ago
1. Does the DS support OpenGL rendering? 2. Can does the DS also support .NET? (C#) 3. I seen some Home Brew games from some people is their a DS simmulater for the VS2005 like for Cell Phones?
Check out my open source code projects/libraries! My Homepage You may learn something.
Advertisement
1. No. There is, however, a "pseudo OpenGL" API included in libnds, which is like a really small subset of OpenGL with a lot of functionality changed or removed. It sucks balls, though it's still better than nothing - think of the mini GL drivers of the 1990's, only with even fewer working features.

2. No.

3. Yes. Several. Your mileage may vary.
1. libnds provides an OpenGL 'like' wrapper over the hardware registers for 3D. As Thygrrr mentioned it doesn't support a whole lot but you can still do a lot with it if your creative [smile].

Some of the things possible/supported:

• Shadows.

• Hardware lights.

• Toon rendering.

• Dual-screen 3D (Although your limited to 256k texture memory and 30fps per screen in this setup.

• Display 'capture' can be used for effects. There are some HDR/motion blur demos around.

Cons:

• No texture filtering.

• Can only render ~2k quads a frame. The hardware can do more but this is the limit.

2. No. C, C++ or ASM.

Gbatek is an excellent source for looking up DS capabilities.
Out of mere curiosity, has anyone tried to compile the Mono framework against the DS? That would allow for the use of .NET code (assuming it worked).
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn
Out of mere curiosity, has anyone tried to compile the Mono framework against the DS? That would allow for the use of .NET code (assuming it worked).

Mono compiles for the ARM9 processor, so yes, the language itself is fine.

The full framework itself is a very different matter. Portions of it would be impossible for reasons that should be obvious. Performance of some of the compute-intensive sections would be horrible on the 66 MHz processor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement