• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Punchin Deck

VS2008 Stupid question...

This topic is 3792 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I KNOW that this is a really stupid question (feel free to berate my stupidity), but how on earth to you prevent VSC++ 2008 from sorting the filters in the Solution Explorer?. It is driving me nuts. I want the filters to be kept in the order that I add them but as I've said, the environment actually sorts them!. It is really, really annoying me!. For example if I add filters A, B, X and then later decide to add C, I SHOULD have A, B, X and C, BUT when I reload the project it comes up A, B, C and X!. Agh!. Frustrated....

Advertisement
Well after spending nearly 2 1/2 damn hours looking I've managed to find what the problem is. Apparently there is a bug (no shock there then) in the actual environment. Has been around since 2005! but M$ have deemed it not important enough to fix. Find it odd that the behaviours that I'm after were default in VC++ 6.0 and yet in the "newer" version this bug was introduced. A big round of applause all around for M$ then, managed to break some code that was actually working. There was me thinking I was doing something wrong. Oh well back to VC++ 6.0 then, screw M$ VC++ Express until they bug fix this.

Solution Linky.

Seems like a very trivial reason to go all the way back to Visual Studio 6.0.

I mean, you're giving up (relatively good) standards compliance, a fair amount of tools, and a pretty nice IDE just because the solution filters are alphabetized? Seems as if you were just looking for an excuse to go back to 6.0 instead of learning the newer versions. I doubt that this is a "bug". It makes more sense to have all the filters ordered alphabetically than other behavior, but thats just me.

If you don't like Visual Studio Express, why not try out code::blocks or something? Anything beside VS 6.0 or Dev-C++, really.

It's not a bug - if you read the link you posted, you'll see that this behaviour was requested by other users and as a result, part of the problem in fixing it is that they would have to provide a mechanism for selecting either option.

Further reading of the same link will lead to a very reasonable and professional explanation of why this issue is not currently being considered for resolution, the main thrust of which being that they are very busy spending time and money fixing things that are more important.

I agree, I wasn't around when Visual Studio 6.0 was being used, but I have only heard awful things about it. For instance, at work I deal on a regular basis with code that uses housemade(broken) data structures because STL support was so poor in Visual Studio 6.0.

Do not, do not, do not, do not, I repeat do not use VC6. It's old, broken, and busted.

Quote:
Original post by Punchin Deck
Oh well back to VC++ 6.0 then, screw M$ VC++ Express until they bug fix this.

Make sure to get a refund.

Oh, wait...

Quote:
Do not, do not, do not, do not, I repeat do not use VC6. It's old, broken, and busted

Here's an interesting issue: In this case, VC6 *is not* broken. All other versions are.

The implied assumption about brokeness of VC6 refers to C++ compiler and C++ standards compliance.

But in this particular case, those are a non-factor. It's the UI that's important. And as such, it's futile to request a fix to non-existant bug.

Ah, the wonderful world of customer relations....

Quote:
Original post by EasilyConfused
It's not a bug - if you read the link you posted
I did read it, and as I mentioned in my second post, if you'd read that, they deemed it not important enough to fix. Did you read the Type of issue at the top of the page of the link I provided, hmmm?, I quite clearly see the words "Type" and "Bug". Also notice too the "Status" directly below it and "Closed (Won't Fix)". Please refrain from making snide comments, we're all adults here trying to share information. Fine, if they haven't the resources (and we're talking M$ here) OK I haven't got a problem with that. I'll use an alternative solution.

Quote:
Original post by Antheus

Ah, the wonderful world of customer relations....

Remind me never to apply for a transfer to my company's CS department. [smile]

Quote:
Original post by Punchin Deck

I did read it, and as I mentioned in my second post, if you'd read that, they deemed it not important enough to fix. Did you read the Type of issue at the top of the page of the link I provided, hmmm?, I quite clearly see the words "Type" and "Bug". Also notice too the "Status" directly below it and "Closed (Won't Fix)". Please refrain from making snide comments, we're all adults here trying to share information. Fine, if they haven't the resources (and we're talking M$ here) OK I haven't got a problem with that. I'll use an alternative solution.

Except it's not a bug, it's a feature request. The original reporter thought it was a bug, when actually it was intentional change in program behavior. He requested having the option added to choose the behavior, the team decided it wasn't worthwhile to spend their time implementing.

Also I think if you're going to request that we refrain making snide comments, you should hold yourself to the same standards. You've made plenty yourself about Microsoft and the Visual Studio Team (who as far as I can tell, has been nothing but straightforward and understanding regarding the issue). Perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that actual Microsoft employees are members of this community.

I'm still interested, there are filters somewhere in vs? I'm searching, but not finding them....

I should move to vc6, too, I mean, non-sorted filters are very important. Not that I ever used one... But I sure missed an awesome great feature.

Edit: I see.. he ment folders!!! Well, that's a whole other topic. Actually no..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!