Sign in to follow this  
vs322

Crashes from .exe file (VSC++ 2005)

So my program runs from the ide fine when I click the "start debugging" button in both debug and release modes (I know its silly to debut the release version). However, when I build the project in release mode, then copy the .exe from the release folder to the project folder (so it gets all the relevant resource files) and run it, I get a crash soon after startup. The crash actually doesn't even finish its startup routine and enter the main game loop. I have tried to debug it, but I cant even look at the assembly. The only info I have gotten about the crash is it exits with the code: 0xc000000d at address 0x00000000004510e0 (I bet that address is useless to help diagnose the problem). My guess is that this is happening from some uninitialized variable or something similar, but my question is: how do I track it down? or is this some other problem?

Thanks for the Quick and useful answers.

it was this chunk here from some code almost a year old... wonder why it wasn't crashing things before.

strncpy_s(stFileName,sizeof(char)*(strlen(stFileName)-1),
stFile,_TRUNCATE);//

so I changed stFileName to a std::string, like it should have always been, and every thing is just peachy now, thanks again.

-vs