Sign in to follow this  
wtl0715

Basic Game Questions...

I am on the hunt for a few answers about a specific web site idea. Please keep in mind that I am IT-illiterate. I don't even know the basics, but I'll ask my questions with as much detail as possible. I am in the very beginning stages of a business plan. I am trying to find out if my idea is feasible before I spend too much time researching. The website I'd like to develp involves playing texas hold'em poker online (not for money). Here are a few questions that would help me get started. 1) How difficult would it be to develop a browser-based poker game? Would it be easier to acquire a game that has already been designed than to contract the design of a new one? I would like to see clean graphics, nothing too complicated, and a friendly user-interface. I understand that it is impossible to develop a completely random card-distribution engine, but I would need the cards to be dealt as close to randomly as possible. 2) Would it be possible to host an online tournament with a large number of players in a browser-based game? If so, what sort of maximum capacity could I reasonably expect (ie, 50 players at a time, 20,000 players at a time)? For a large tournament, would it be necessary to have people download my program? 3) What sort of resources would I need to run a large online tournament, keep track of player accounts/logins/playing times/etc? I don't know how the internet operates, even on a basic level, so I need to know if I would have to own a large server or if there are services that allow you to pay for the amount of server space necessary to run a large tournament. 4) What could I expect to spend for this operation (fixed and variable costs)? I realize that any number will be a rough estimate, but I'd like to have some idea of what I would have to pay a professional (or team) to create this website, poker interface, and game. I'd also like to have a rough estimate of what my monthly cost would be to host a large online hold'em tournament (likely a few every day). I'd rather not get into the specifics of the business idea just yet, but a few answers to these would be a great help. Legality is not an issue, but that's just about the only thing I've researched in-depth. If you're able to answer one or more of these questions, please shoot me an email: shaft3407@yahoo.com Thanks in advance, WTL

If you ask on the forum, we answer on the forum.

1) Not very. Would it be 'easier'? Depends on your relative access to developers and money, doesn't it. Poker in a browser is not particularly hard. However the game itself would need to run on the server, which makes it more complex. And handling payments makes life significantly more awkward.

2) Yes, it's possible. It's a slow-moving game so capacity is virtually unbounded, but that will depend on the quality of your developers really. In a sense it doesn't really matter as you can just add more servers, which will be cheap compared to your other costs.

3) There are places that let you host your games and services. They tend to be quite pricey but it depends on your needs.

4) No idea, unfortunately.