Sign in to follow this  
KodeNerd

Sin and Cosine Rounding Error?

I checked and I was actually using a double and this still happened.

In this sample program I was running I used the following snippet and got the shown output:

#include <cmath>
#include <iostream>
int main(void) {
float value = 45;
std::cout << 1.0 * sin(45) << "\n" << 1.0 * cos(45); //The 1.0 multiplication is just reproducing something from my source code
}

And got

On gcc (forgot what version) in debug mode.

Quote:
Original post by KodeNerd
I checked and I was actually using a double and this still happened.

In this sample program I was running I used the following snippet and got the shown output:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

And got

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

On gcc (forgot what version) in debug mode.

sin and cos takes radians, not degrees :)

And you thought it was a problem of accuracy? :)

In these cases I usually make a plot (using gnuplot, or even OpenOffice), which makes things much more clear. Alternatively, you can look it up on a reference.

You should get used to using radians. The only place where I have seen degrees being used in the last 15 years is in OpenGL (and I have no idea why they chose to use them).

Quote:
Original post by alvaro
And you thought it was a problem of accuracy? :)

I saw that they were only a couple of hundredths off so I guessed that it might just be a rounding error.

Quote:

In these cases I usually make a plot (using gnuplot, or even OpenOffice), which makes things much more clear. Alternatively, you can look it up on a reference.

I don't actually have a reference around anymore, I gave it away...I guess I should get another.

Quote:

You should get used to using radians. The only place where I have seen degrees being used in the last 15 years is in OpenGL (and I have no idea why they chose to use them).

I am using OpenGL so that is why I (stupidly) assumed that the sine and cosine functions also took degrees.