Baseball junkies

Started by
2 comments, last by Stevebeans 15 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys, I've posted before talking about the game i'm working on, well it is going to be a baseball game (to join the many out there). There will be unique features to set it apart, but right now i'm trying to determine a good set of attributes and skills for players on the field. Here is what I have Offense Contact - The ability to make contact with the ball Power - Hitting the ball for distance Eye - Being able to recognize strikes, balls, movement on the ball, etc Pitching Movement - Movement on pitches, helps confuse hitters Control - Controlling the strike zone, ability to hit corners Power - Being able to blow it by hitters Holding Runner - keeping runners close to bases Defense Range - Covering their specified 'zones' Hands - Ability to prevent errors when making plays Arm - Throwing accuracy and power Can you guys think of any other? Or go over those to see if some are useless Thanks!
Advertisement
Here's a few:

Balance - the physical kind and incredibly important to baseball
Endurance - i.e. pitchers get tired
Concentration - the ability for players on a team to stay focused for 300-400 pitches oftentimes determines the outcome of a game.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I'd not split the stats so clearly across offense and defense, and instead have some more generic stats that apply to a greater or lesser extent to both. This makes it more interesting when trying to pick a team.

Pace - speed and acceleration for runners to reach the next base, or for fielders trying to tag runners

Decisions - for fielders choosing which base to throw to, or for runners in deciding whether to run or not, or for batters to choose to bunt, etc

Signals - how good a catcher is at reading a batter's weaknesses, conveying that info to the pitcher, and shielding it from the other team

Pressure handling - some players handle high-pressure situations and big games better than others

Apologies if I got some of the terminology wrong; I'm British and therefore can't be expected to understand your crazy sports. ;)
What i'm thinking of doing are skill trees, so perhaps things can branch off. Offense tab, Defense tab, Pitching tab.. anyone can choose anyone, etc.

I like the suggestions so far.

Poise is a must, I forgot to add that. The ability to not choke when you're down by 1, top of the 9th and you have 50k people screaming obscenities at you.

Endurance as well, not only for pitchers but it'll effect hitters to be able to play daily over the course of a long season.

I like the idea of decisions, that will definitely correlate with intelligence, but like mentioned above, if I do 'trees', I can make things like fielding decisions as more of a detailed skill with INT boosting those type of abilities.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement