3D Support

Started by
8 comments, last by V-man 15 years, 9 months ago
LoseThos, my operating system, now has a FillPoly with a depth buffer. I did a flight simulator with it. It's not much code. What are other good 3D routines every game development package should have? It has good 2D support for graphics -- graphics in source files without resource files. What format is most common for storing verticies from a 3D resource tool? I'm tempted to make something-up and also store it in the source files. This is supposed to become the best environment for amateur video games.
Advertisement
You developed the whole OS And the games etc. by yourself? Must have cost some time.. :up
Been at it 5 years, more or less full-time.
Quote:Original post by losethos
This is supposed to become the best environment for amateur video games.

To me it seems like you only post here (I mean all you posts) to get more people visit your website and try your os. What you have done is impressive, but isn't it waste of time? If you are interested in os development why don't you help improving Linux?
Why should I use you os for game development? The code wouldn't be reusable and most of the people wouldn't even dare running your os. I couldn't even share my game with friends. Who wants to restart the pc or start a virtual machine just to play a game?
I don't even see any good reason why your os should be used as a learning platform. Of course it's good to start slow but do you even provide a standard c/c++ compiler? Can I use popular cross platform libraries like SDL or opengl with your os? Hardware accelerated graphics isn't something fancy these days, even a hobby programmer want its game to look good and run smooth.

I wish someone would put so much effort in a full featured free game engine...

Edit:
I understand that you expect much more enthusiasm from the people after spending 5 years developing this os, but the fact that a single developer cannot make something like Windows or Linux doesn't make your software better. All the end user will see is that LoseThos looks like something from the 80s.

[Edited by - Kambiz on July 26, 2008 9:35:02 AM]
I thought this was a programming website? LoseThos is for amateur programmers. The reality is, you have to be humble, unless you want to use one of those game-maker packages which fit a square peg in a round who and dumb it down so you don't need to know how to program.

LoseThos is ahead of Linux and Windows on multicore. Do you want to run two apps twice as fast or one app twice as fast? You're a moron if you don't understand the wools been pulled over your eyes. If you get down to the nitty-gritty, you discover this and LoseThos places all powers of kernel mode at your disposal for the ultimate multicore results.

The niche for LoseThos is the same sorts of people who bought kits and threw switches when computers came as kits -- they did it for fun. There was no commercial use those hobbiest in the 1970's got from it. It's a small niche. This web site is likely to have some of these real men and they would be interested in loseThos.
You don't believe me on the multicore, take a look at the flight simulator code. The foreground is rendered with core 1 and the distant terrain is rendered with core 0. Where are they going to be when chips have 8 cores and where am I going to be?
LoseThos takes 2 Meg without the dictionary and is a live CD. You can make an ISO image of LoseThos plus your game -- a CD can handle 700 Meg. Send it to your friend and he can burn a CD and boot to it and play it.
It's really great work that you have done, and it's a great learning experience for you, and it's a really great example for those learning to build bootable code, or low level game programming.

It just doesn't seem like a good idea for a game developer to build a live cd game. There was a time when the machine booted from a game disc, but that time is gone. I just don't think you're going to get much adoption for this.
I'll be happy with as many customers as those kit computers had. Greed often creates hell for yourself. Just think -- no international crap, no dumb users, no worries about life-support systems and getting sued. I'm picking my niche. A little money might be nice. Just a little slice of heaven for programmers.
Quote:Original post by losethos
You don't believe me on the multicore, take a look at the flight simulator code. The foreground is rendered with core 1 and the distant terrain is rendered with core 0. Where are they going to be when chips have 8 cores and where am I going to be?

I couldn't see the movie since I'm missing the plugin.
I prefer GPU acceleration.
Anyway, I hope you succeed what you are trying to do. Personally, I don't have any problems with Windows. It works very well.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement