Employment law

Started by
4 comments, last by LessBread 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi, a few weeks ago I was asking about leaving my job in one of my posts, I'm still there but have a few questions where I think they may have broke some sort of law. (Though I could be well wrong lol) So I had a contract with this company (can't find it this minute though) and it was for 3 months. They asked about a week later if I wanted to continue working there, I said yes but I want to negotiate a better pay. After 2 months and a few questions by me the boss said he'd been too busy to enquire about they pay. I have been looking for other jobs and have a few interested. Now I have had a few absenses but they have been real sickness, where I've been to the docs or hosp. And they have put them down as unexplained and never paid me sick pay. So heres the bit that bothers me most, they told me I'd get a letter about an investigation metting about my absense. However they sent two employees of the company (an I mean it may aswell have been the vending machine guy as they have no higher management status) to my door with a letter with no address on it saying private and confidential. Isn't that against the law? Data protection? I spoke to one lawyer but they said doesn't sound like anything they doe is wrong. In a really far out thought, maybe a paranoid one, imagine that me and that guy had some run in at work, now he has my address! I know you can say he knows where you work but still, I still reckon this is wrong. So any thoughts or is there really nothing I can do about this?
Advertisement
Do you have a note from the doctor to prove you were sick?

Maybe they read your other post and want to get rid of you... but if you were feeling guilty about leaving this should make it easier! I can't see anything wrong with how they gave you the letter though. You can't expect the owner of the company to distribute letters, that's why companies have secretaries.
i asked for one but she said i should just do self assessment. I could get her to give me one if I told her this sort of stuff.

I am a bit worried it might look bad to other employers is I said I wasn't working or I got sacked or something.

With the letter I just thought it was strange, why not post it? I could have even got it at work?
You signed a 3-month contract, are you a contractor for them? I'm surprised they went through all the trouble to have meetings and deliver letters since they can drop you for just about any reason if you're not an employee.

I wouldn't worry about it hurting future employment, just don't put them as a reference or check the "no" box under "can we contact them".
About your co-workers showing up at your door, think nothing of it. Your boss didn't want to leave an envelope marked "confidential" on your table. It's unusual, a little awkward, but unless you are working for the mob there's nothing to worry about.
Quote:Original post by JinJo
i asked for one but she said i should just do self assessment. I could get her to give me one if I told her this sort of stuff.

If they've sent you a letter telling you that they are going to investigate your absences, then you should get a letter from your doctor attesting to the health reasons for your absences.

If I was in your shoes, I'd start looking for a better job.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement