Sign in to follow this  
YoungOne92

Amazon.co.uk Books.

Hello. I'm 16 year's old and intrested in a life of Programming game's. I need some advice from you "experts" out there, i'm interested in learning C/C++ but beause there are no college courses in my area i have to buy book's to learn from. So i need some people to tell me which books are the best for a complete begginnar from amazon.co.uk. Thank's YoungOne92

Do you have any programming experience at all?
Personally I learned from one of those "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days" books, which I found fairly useful but I already knew how to program in another language (STOS BASIC on the Atari ST, and self half-taught in QuakeC).

I'd recommend getting a generic C++ book rather than a game-specific one; you need to know the language before jumping in at the deep end with graphical stuff.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend C++ for a beginner at all - C# would be more suitable, and you can always learn C++ after.

For C++ (which I would also not recommend as a first language), you should Google for "Thinking in C++" and "C++: A Dialog." These are both freely available online, and are generally considered decent texts -- there's no need to spend at money quite yet.

That said, I'd recommend Python as a first language. All you'll need to get started (tools, documentation, learning material) is at the Python site.

Ok i'm going to start learning C# but i need to know if this book looks good enough? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-First-C-Brain-Friendly-Guides/dp/0596514824/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217000576&sr=1-5

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to peruse the available 'C# for beginner' type books yet, so I can't provide much in the way of advice for books that I think are suitable. Somebody else will have to respond on that point.

I personally did not like the teach yourself in 21 day series of books. I found them too brief and you didn't actually learn the deeper concepts, just syntax.

I think Python would be really good to learn if you have no experience. It's really easy, powerful, and already has a very extensive set of game programming libraries.

On top of that, Python is interpreted, which means you can get to running your programs faster!

If you decide to skip Python and still want to do C# or C++, I'd urge you to try Java. It's very friendly and hides a lot of the hard stuff that C++ makes you do manually.

Good luck!