Basic C++ Programming Concepts ?

Started by
7 comments, last by Code Zombie 15 years, 8 months ago
I want to know what are the concepts i need to fully master or to an extent understand before i can start making simple games. I'm looking to start making games as soon as i can. But this doesnt mean i will. Firstly, I want to make sure i have the fundamental concepts cleared perfectly (or good enough) to start getting on the road to game programming. What I basically want to know is how much of each concept/subject do i need to completely understand so that when i start going further i wont have to go an re-read these later. Not that i'm lazy but id rather be focused on one thing to fully utilize it. I'm 15 by the way. My school starts after 40 days. Dont know how this is relevant but still thought I'd mention. :D
Advertisement
Assuming 'simple games' means you want an asteroids clone or something of similar difficulty.

To be honest, you'll need to have a solid grasp on the entirety of the language syntax, iterator concepts, the containers of the standard library, and a non-trivial amount of experience to get basic program design skills and sufficient debugging ability.

Could you start earlier? Sure, though going before you're ready will do nothing but slow your progress.
Thanks for the reply and No I dont want a low standard for success. Im willing to learn c++ for the next three years before programming games. I just need a good area that I can dedicate myself to and a road I can walk on.
( What I mean is that I am willing to learn before getting into a rush. I believe if i have a solid foundation, I'd be able to do better and it will be easier to modify/tweak or even optimize without going to the net again and again to see what this conept is.)

You have no idea how much time i can spend learning.
Two years ago i wanted to make a 3d car. by the next three months I was very familiar with the interface and did a very good car also (only of the trial had'nt expired). Here's a link: http://cg-cars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4017

So when it comes to learning, Im a freak and I'll do just abt anything to learn, and anytime to dedicate to it. I mean this in a good way.

OH YEAH!!!
I never mentioned my experience. I have read and practiced the book by Michael Hudson Beginning Game Programming In C++. I am not a complete beginner. I had some issues with dynamic memory and pointers but im still working on it. I finished the book yesterday after a month of thorough reading and practice.

[Edited by - Wasif Hyder on July 25, 2008 3:50:34 PM]
Quote:Original post by Wasif Hyder
Im willing to learn c++ for the next three years before programming in c++.

The two are not mutually exclusive, and you'll probably find you suffer if you treat them as such. You need to undertake reasonable projects as part of the learning process - I'd rate myself as a reasonable programmer, and I program for fun. But I still learn from everything I'm writing - new areas, and also things that just come with experience in terms of maturity of design and approach to problems. There are things that small programs won't teach you.

That said, of course, I'm not suggesting you try to write the world's greatest MMO off the bat. I'm just saying that you shouldn't necessarily separate the use and learning of C++.

Quote:Here's a link: http://cg-cars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4017

Nice work!
[TheUnbeliever]
I've always found that the best way to learn most programming languages is not to follow simple examples in books, but rather to take what you think you are learning and try to apply it to a little experimental program. Nothing major, just some little bits to get some hands on experience. And, to make things easier on you, don't forget that if you ever have problems and need help you can post here and we'll probably get to you pretty fast.

Good Luck! [grin]
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Quote:
Im willing to learn c++ for the next three years before programming games.

Jump in! The water is fine [grin].

Seriously - you will learn so much more from a big failure than any number of small successes.
Wow, truly impressive car, what 3d software did you use to do it? That is brillant work for three months, i know i have been practicing c/c++ for six years and i'am still pretty lame, but with your kinda learning skills i don't think it wud take you anywhere near that long. and dude one question, your from karachi i used to live over their too and i looked all over the place for a person that sold the software(like 3d's max, maya, lightwave etc..) that was not pirated and i could not find one, was it that hard for you too find it legally sold or was it just me?
Thanks a lot.

And no I couldnt find a real one either. I was using the pirated version but it was only trial. I didnt know anything abt wat pirated is or how to crack so that thing expired in 30 days. I used versions 7 8 and 9 trials and those were the three months.

Pirated software sucks! because the person who put so hard work on making it gets no return.

anyways thanks and ill try my best learning c++ starting with the tetris tutorial soon. Wish me Luck

And yes im also from karachi but i relocated to dubai two months ago
if u want an original version get the pirated installer and get a real key from the autodesk website or if u have hi bandwith
get it directly from there
I'am in usa now, so its a relief that i can just go and buy it from the store, but phew its pricey.. don't think i can ever afford =), you could buy pirated for like 200 ruppies lol, but that was morally wrong and since i knew it was pirated i never did it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement