Sign in to follow this  
Posese

Graphics engine

Hi! I have a few questions :P I am "new" in programming with opengl/d3d, and I was looking for information about what companies uses each one to make games. But, as far as I have seen, every companies have their own "graphics engine". I wanted to know what it is. An example...Blizzard, which is making Starcraft II, says in his web: "We can do cinematics as good as our graphics engine allow us" (or something like that)... So, what is a graphic motor? something created with opengl/direct3d? or it has nothing to do with them? That's all, thanks and bye ;)

A good graphics engine will be completely abstracted away from any particular API, and act as a layer between the two. That means that your graphics engine will have functions like "CreateTexture", "LoadModel", "SetShader", and other functions that are similar to what you find in Direct3D/OGL, and your entire game will use these function. However underneath the hood the graphics engine will call either Direct3D or OpenGL functions. This way, only the graphics engine has to worry about what API you're using, and the rest of the game only has to worry about your graphics engine. This makes switching between Direct3D/OpenGL/insert-other-API-here (or multiple APIs at once) very easy.

Hi again...

I have another question :D

I have read that there are companies that only develop game engines.

Then, when, for example, Blizzard (or whatever company) wants to make a game...do they buy the game engine? or they make their own engine?

And, if I wanted to make a game, should I try to use an "already done" game engine? or it's better/easier to use opengl/direct3d?
If I were working in a company, I guess I would use the game engine they tell me, but I am only studying, so? :P

Thanks, and bye!

Quote:
Original post by Posese
Hi again...

I have another question :D

I have read that there are companies that only develop game engines.

Then, when, for example, Blizzard (or whatever company) wants to make a game...do they buy the game engine? or they make their own engine?

And, if I wanted to make a game, should I try to use an "already done" game engine? or it's better/easier to use opengl/direct3d?
If I were working in a company, I guess I would use the game engine they tell me, but I am only studying, so? :P

Thanks, and bye!

We use Unreal Engine exclusively at work, which is an awesome framework that handle asset creation, preparation, loading and display. In a nutshell, engines like Unreal provide a huge framework of code that "solves" all the common use cases of game programming. (Input, Sound, asset management, displaying models, animation, etc)

If your aim is simply to create a game, then I highly recommend you go with a graphics or game engine - it will save you many, many thousands of hours of work.