Game Engine, Waste of Time or Valuable Experience

Started by
10 comments, last by bitshifter 15 years, 8 months ago
Ok so Basicly the Topic says it all Do you consider the time it takes to create a game engine Wasteful or do you see it as a Valuable experience for a new team trying to work on there skills? I want to hear your thoughts
Advertisement
Don't write an engine, write a game with an eye towards reusability. And don't go crazy about reusability, or you'll get stuck. Don't expect to get it down the first time. If you're trying, it will come with experience.

Finally hunted down that link. Clicky.
This is the same as any DirectX v. OpenGL or Mac v. Windows thread.

Both have their pro's and con's. People need to stop relying on others for advice and figure out what's best for them.

Failure and humility can be helpful to people. Realizing that one is not indestructible or beyond human can prove useful later on in life
It depends, do you want to build games or engines for a living?
I recommend creating the engine as you create the game. Don't try to create an engine all by itself, unless of course that's what you want to create and distribute.

You can of course use a pre-made engine if making your own is not an option. That's what they are for :).
It depends on where you're at in your learning. Learning to use other people's code is good. Learning how to design big libraries with a lot of moving parts is good. Getting stuck in minutiae, or forever restarting the engine is bad.

Generally, if you have a new team it's bad. New teams need good business practices, and a new engine is a lot of work/time/money.

And I'd learn towards it being bad for most hobbyists too. Learning to find/decipher/integrate other people's stuff is a too uncommon skill it seems.
Wasn't this subject upp for like just 4 weeks ago .... search function does not work? :-)
Don't worry about writing a game engine - make a game instead. While you're making the game, continuously refactor your code to make things simpler and more modular.

Tada - a game engine! :)
Like others said write a game with reusability in mind and your engine will evolve. Every time you find yourself reusing a peice of code more then once pull it to a lib. When you game is done you will have a engine. If you try to just write a engine you will find yourself never finishing it because you will enter the endless engine cycle of oh I want to add this and oh I want to add that.
Quote:Original post by VBStrider
I recommend creating the engine as you create the game. Don't try to create an engine all by itself, unless of course that's what you want to create and distribute.

You can of course use a pre-made engine if making your own is not an option. That's what they are for :).

Even if you are planning on writing engines for a living, you still need to know how to make games. You can't write an engine that's worth anything unless you have a very clear idea of what a game needs, and the best ways to do it. You'll likely only get this by writing actual games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement