Sign in to follow this  
MARS_999

Use a static self shadowing lightmap on model mesh

I am thinking about sticking with my static lightmap I calculate on the CPU for my terrain to do self shadowing. Now what would I need to do to take that same texture and apply it to my model meshes so the seem like they are being shadowed by the terrain hills vs. when I drive under a hill the model stays lit and the ground is darkened? Thanks

Your terrain shadows are, I presume, being calculated using some basic raytracing method? I suppose you could raytrace a small, say 32x32 pixel shadowmap from the vehicle's position, billboard-oriented towards the light source and made large enough to cover the projection of the vehicle's bounding sphere from that angle, and use that shadowmap as a projected texture onto the vehicle?

Alternatively, if your terrain shadowmap is already high-enough quality (if you do localized higher-detail re-rendering, say), you could take the 8 corners of your vehicle bounding box, raycast them onto the terrain in the light direction, and sample the terrain shadowmap to get 8 lighting values; then use a simple shader to brighten the vehicle's texels based on their position in that 2x2x2 3D texture created.

Lastly, you could just raytrace a single point from the vehicle center-of-mass in the light direction to the terrain, and change the ambient lighting coefficient of the vehicle's materials to match that sample.