• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bobsaget

directx 9 and directx 10, how much overlaps?

This topic is 3741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In the school I am at(College)I do know win32 and I want to continue and look at direct3D. I see some classes and books on d3d9 but directx 10 is the new technology ms is pushing. How much of the knowledge of Direct3d 9 and DX 10 overlap? thanks

Advertisement
DirectX 10 is rarely used, as it is a vista exclusive, and not a whole lot of people have made the switch, plus DirectX 11 has already been announced, so it looks as though 10 is gonna have a short life, i suggest just learning 9, but make sure you learn shaders, because the fixed function pipline doesn't exist beyond 9

Lots. The two API's are very similar in many respects. There are some new features in direct3D 10 that weren't in 9, and there were some things removed, but there is lots of overlap.

Don't take my word for it though, read it for yourself.

I see also how future proof is the method of dx 9 considering microsoft as well as pushing dx 10 and 10.1 is also pushing managed code and c#?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!