• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

This topic is 3678 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I heard about WiiWare, or more notably that Nintendo was going to start letting indie game developers at a shot of making games for the Wii, and possibly for pay like Microsoft is doing the the XNA community, however, when i searched nintendo's site i only came across this page http://www.nintendo.com/wii/wiiware, which didn't show many how to obtain WiiWare, nor make games for the Wii, so I'm asking the community if this news is true or false. Can i make games for the Wii, and possibly if distributed and many people download them get paid to do so?

Advertisement
My understanding is that it's supposed to be like XBox Live Arcade before XNA ever entered the scene. Small teams can still make games, but I think there are still many more requirements than XNA has.

From Nintendos point of view "indie developer" means small professional studio, *not* guy-in-bedroom hobby developer. Unless you've got a proper office and a track record they're not interested in you.

Which seems a little odd, considering their dev stuff is dirt cheap already...I think it's more to enable small games, than small studios.

Nintendo has never been open to homebrewing and I doubt that will change any time soon. With the right setup however, you can use the Wiimote and its accessories in your PC programs. It's close, but not the same.

<wild_fantasy>
Maybe if Nintendo sees enough individual users using the Wiimote in their own projects, that will change their mind.
</wild_fantasy>

WiiWare is already out. You just plug in your Wii to the internet, and all the WiiWare games have their own section in the Wii's shop similar to Virtual Console titles.

They have a Pokemon farm game.
Final Fantasy: My Life As King
A space shooter
Pirates: Something or other
etc...

Basically stuff that will fill up your 512mb of Wii Storage in a hurry. Wiiware basically amounts to small games that are sold directly without physical media over Nintendo's network. Pokemon and Final Fantasy aren't really indy games, now are they? ;)

I've watched the Pirates game trailer a few times. Looks fun.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!