[Starting C++]Need opinions

Started by
7 comments, last by DrakeFG 15 years, 8 months ago
Hello everyone! I recently started to study C++ on the Deitel&Deitel book...But I found it boring...So i decided to change my textbook...I read that here the favourite seems to be "Accelerated C++"...So i'm thinking to switch to that one... I also read good reviews about "Beginning C ++ Through Game Programming"... What's your suggestion?
Advertisement
I learned C++ through "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel. He's a nice enough guy that he also gives the book away for free http://www.bruceeckel.com/. In my opinion this is the best free resource for learning C++, well worth checking out either way.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Thank you very much!
But I tried that book in it's italian translation and i didn't like it...I'm looking for an immediate approach...Now my target is to get an intermediate c++ level beacouse i'm 17 years old and I will study more things at the university...Now I just wanna start programming seriously...
I've never been a textbook learner myself. I do own a few books, but they're mostly used for reference. Simply reading about things I don't really know yet is indeed boring. My personal way is learning by doing or "trial and error". Really depends on personal preference though :)

My advice would be: Start programming. Find a few samples, compile them, try to change them, toy around. Get a feel for the language. Once you've got a little experience the book should make more sense and become more interesting.

Of course I'm not telling you to ignore the theoretical part completely. The most important "philosophies" that make a good programmer are not language dependant though.

Also, I found the C++ FAQ LITE quite helpfull, albeit a lot of this might be over the top of your head if you're just starting to learn.
How do I set my laser printer on stun?
Thank you too :D
But I would prefer a textbook...I found the FAQs useful and i'll bookmark them...But I need opinion on those textbooks :D
No opinions?
The two key C++ beginner books to learn from are Accelerated C++ and C++ Primer (4th Edition, Lippman). There are more C++ books you need to get as well if you want to master C++, but they are more advanced.
Quick vote for Accelerated C++. Had a quick thumb through it in my library last year and looked very good indeed.

I learned C off Deitel. I agree it was very, very boring but I think the C version was more designed to be a companion course text. I guess the C++ one is probably the same.
Yes so i'll soon start to study on Accelerated C++...Thanks fou your opinions...If others have more opinions they are welcome I would see others' opinions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement