Sign in to follow this  
Gantz

Help choosing additional features

Hi everyone some of you may have seen my post in the help wanted forum but for those of you who haven't I am creating an interactive novel style game. http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=501354 Basically the problem I am finding is that I have totally finished the engine and scripting syntax and can't think of what feature would be best to add next. Since the game is very story driven I thought of maybe adding a battle system to the game to add another game play element. I was thinking either a traditional turn based RPG battle system or a "card" based battling system where each attack has an attack and defense value so battles would be a bit more tactical(it's quite complicated but I would rather not write the full details at this time as I need to catch a bus soon). The latter system would take a lot longer to create. Other than that I was thinking of creating a library of pixel shaders for use on the 2D background and character images however I'm not really sure if these would be hugely useful or bring much to the project but they would be a lot easier and faster to create. The last option I have is to improve the scripting syntax for designers more and leave game play elements are they are (Since this is a story driven game does it really need the other features I was thinking of?). So if anyone has any suggestions on what would bring more to this kind of project please let me know

Quote:
Original post by Gantz
Since the game is very story driven I thought of maybe adding a battle system to the game to add another game play element. I was thinking either a traditional turn based RPG battle system or a "card" based battling system where each attack has an attack and defense value so battles would be a bit more tactical

Personally I think an RPG style battle system could fit quite nicely in an interactive fiction game like this (I've usually disliked card based games though). The problem is, however.. through what means does a player build and prepare their character for battle? Or are they a fixed (or increasing but not user-controlled) set of stats and abilities?

In effect, I think this could be executed very nicely, but if you do choose this route then be careful not to let it detract from your core story-driven gameplay. Battles in interactive fiction: yes. Grinding in interactive fiction: please noooooo.

Quote:
Original post by WavyVirus
Quote:
Original post by Gantz
Since the game is very story driven I thought of maybe adding a battle system to the game to add another game play element. I was thinking either a traditional turn based RPG battle system or a "card" based battling system where each attack has an attack and defense value so battles would be a bit more tactical

Personally I think an RPG style battle system could fit quite nicely in an interactive fiction game like this (I've usually disliked card based games though). The problem is, however.. through what means does a player build and prepare their character for battle? Or are they a fixed (or increasing but not user-controlled) set of stats and abilities?

In effect, I think this could be executed very nicely, but if you do choose this route then be careful not to let it detract from your core story-driven gameplay. Battles in interactive fiction: yes. Grinding in interactive fiction: please noooooo.

Indeed I really don't plan on having grinding I think each battle would be a set piece with set development of the character. However I think the card battling system I have in mind will really allow me to set up tactical set piece battles so it's something I have to think hard about.

Quote:
Basically the problem I am finding is that I have totally finished the engine and scripting syntax and can't think of what feature would be best to add next. Since the game is very story driven I thought of maybe adding a battle system to the game to add another game play element. I was thinking either a traditional turn based RPG battle system or a "card" based battling system where each attack has an attack and defense value so battles would be a bit more tactical(it's quite complicated but I would rather not write the full details at this time as I need to catch a bus soon). The latter system would take a lot longer to create.

Other than that I was thinking of creating a library of pixel shaders for use on the 2D background and character images however I'm not really sure if these would be hugely useful or bring much to the project but they would be a lot easier and faster to create.

The last option I have is to improve the scripting syntax for designers more and leave game play elements are they are (Since this is a story driven game does it really need the other features I was thinking of?).

Alot of these improvements really depends on you. Based on most IF games i've played previously (Rise Of The Dragon, Frederick Pohl's: Gateway, etc), such types of games rely more heavily on puzzles and strong story elements than on any form of recognizable combat.

I think (having read your posted thread) that you should focus more on the story as it serves as the core of your game, rather than adding additional features you don't know you'll even need. If your having problems finding a writer try posting in places where they're more likely to be found, like this Writing Forum, or Writing.Com, Gamedev afterall is more a community of programmers.

Thanks for that writing forum dude I'll check it out. It's true that where most games like this rely on puzzles I think it will be quite different if I implement battles into the game. However whether it goes well into the game or not is a different matter.