[.net] C# and graphics

Started by
4 comments, last by daviangel 15 years, 8 months ago
I asked a while back about C# and various game/graphics engines. Since then I decided to learn graphics from scratch (OpenGL/DirectX). I gave up primarily becuase I didn't like C++ anymore. Time passed by and it seems to me that the situation didn't really change. There is really nothing for C# in terms of graphics. DirectX SDK is fully documented for C++ only, OpenGL wrappers/ports for C# are no longer in development, etc. Is C# simply not a language for that area (yet), or am I wrong? P.S. I gave up on XNA because I don't want to learn a platform-specific framework at this time (it's a development platfrom after all).
Advertisement
Have you looked at SlimDX? Its DirectX wrapper for managed langs like C# and vb. I'm using in my project and like it alot. SlimDX follows the DirectX API almost exactly...so you can look at DirectX code and documentation and pretty much write it in C# with no problems.
What exactly do you mean by 'platform specific?' in this context (it's worth noting, for example, that SlimDX works on fewer platforms than XNA).

If avoiding platform-specific stuff is key, you're going to have to look for OpenGL C# wrappers like Tao.OpenGL the like. None of the DX-based stuff is as widely deployable, with the exception of XNA which can target the PC, 360 and the Zune).
OpenTK is a C# OpenGL/OpenAL wrapper that is in heavy development. There are many other options for graphics in .Net/Mono - what are your requirements?

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

Quote:OpenGL wrappers/ports for C# are no longer in development, etc.

Why do you would want wrapper for API that does not change to be still in development ? Tao.OpenGL or OpenTK looks pretty complete to me for latest OpenGL 2.1 version and its extensions.
Quote:Original post by CombatHammie
DirectX SDK is fully documented for C++ only,

How do you think the VB programmers feel?
They are really getting the shaft now that XNA, which Microsoft is now pushing for game hobbyist, only officially supports C#
That's why I'm sticking to C++ even I've never like it any more than VB.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement