Sign in to follow this  
Total_Titillation

Just another scrub trying to make his way

Hi I'm going into my 3rd year of a games dev course at uni and I want to start making some games to help me apply for jobs once i finish. The first two years of my course have concentrated mainly on general computing science. I've learned java, and I'm pretty proficient with it. Next year I will be doing all of my games modules. I will be doing some c++ next year, DX stuff etc. But whilst I have time i'd like to maybe start now. I've had a brief look on the web but there seem to be alot of mixed views out there... I'm not an expert in java, but i've seen a little C++ and it made alot of sense to me. I kinda have my heart set on a 2D shooter to start on. Where's the best place to start, can anyone recommend a good book/site/tutorials please!? Any comments will be much appreciated, thanks. [Edited by - Total_Titillation on July 26, 2008 3:12:51 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Total_Titillation
Hi

I'm going into my 3rd year of a games dev course at uni and I want to start making some games to help me apply for jobs once i finish.

The first two years of my course have concentrated mainly on general computing science. I've learned java, and I'm pretty proficient with it.

Next year I will be doing all of my games modules. I will be doing some c++ next year, DX stuff etc.

But whilst I have time i'd like to maybe start now.

I've had a brief look on the web but there seem to be alot of mixed views out there...

I'm not an expert in java, but i've seen a little C++ and it made alot of sense to me.

I kinda have my heart set on a 2D shooter to start on.

Where's the best place to start, can anyone recommend a good book/site/tutorials please!?

Any comments will be much appreciated, thanks.

Its always nice to see someone who is just starting out. Warms my heart, it does :)

As for good places to start, can you answer a few questions? It'll help me (and probably the rest of us) decide what would be best for you.

1) What language are you trying to write your game in? C/C++ or java?
2) How well do you know either language?
3) Have you done anything that could be called game programming yet? What was it?
4) (IMPORTANT!) Do you just want to write a game, or are you writing the game to learn more about what goes on behind the scenes?

My usually verdict is to point people towards Ogre (www.ogre3d.org), and let them loose there. But if you just want to write a simple 2d game and you're feeling adventurous, maybe you should grab SDL and start with the basics?

1) What language are you trying to write your game in? C/C++ or java?

C++ please

2) How well do you know either language?

I Know pretty much nothing about c++, other than java was a rip-off of it, but minus pointers.

java
I have used most types of data structures.
I have done a bit of gui stuff, and made a simple browser.

So i'm pretty confident about programming in java.

3) Have you done anything that could be called game programming yet? What was it?

No

4) (IMPORTANT!) Do you just want to write a game, or are you writing the game to learn more about what goes on behind the scenes?

I want to write games, but I also want to learn what goes on behind the scenes.

"edit"

P.s.

ogre looks great, thanks

Since you are already familiar with Java, I would actually recommend learning C#. C# is basically a rip-off of Java with some elements of C++ thrown in (and is better than both of them IMHO). And best of all, you can get the Visual C# Express IDE from MS for FREE!

Once you are familiar with C#, you can start doing some real-world graphics work with either Managed DirectX (much like regular C++ DirectX, but falling out of use) or XNA. XNA would be the easiest to start programming games with. There are plenty of stories of newbie game programmers who were able to write their first game in a weekend with XNA!

Many people have written simple programs and games to show off to employers. If you want to stand out, you need to add some eye candy to your projects. With XNA, you have all the graphics features of commercial applications at your disposal. Riemers has an excellent tutorial on XNA (and Managed DirectX) that covers 3D game programming. You can also check out the XNA Creator's Club site for tutorials covering 2D and 3D game development.

I wish you the best of luck!

I'm a software engineer for an aerospace company. I did all my univ. work in c++ but do all of my professional work today in c#. I agree that the easiest/best option now is to download c# express and xna GS. You wont find a better suite of free tools for game dev. Good luck.