Perl for game development

Started by
5 comments, last by superpig 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi all, I´m new, got no idea about games development so that´s what I´m here. Wanna learn. Do you know what about perl for the game development? Thanks
Advertisement
What gave you the idea of using Perl for games?
It's about as bad an idea as using PHP for games IMO!!!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Wel...

Is the language I use for everything, but... should I use c++ instead?

Thanks!
Perl will do just fine, as will any other language, as long as you can manage not to write messy code with it. I know of only one game written in Perl (Frozen Bubble), but that shouldn't stop you from using it if you like it. On the plus side, CPAN is huge, and could be a real asset.
You can write games in any language. Perl has SDL bindings which should allow you to create 2D games pretty easily .I haven't tried these bindings, so I can't vouch for them, but SDL in general is very good. That would be a decent place to start.
Quote:Original post by let_bound
Perl will do just fine, as will any other language, as long as you can manage not to write messy code with it. I know of only one game written in Perl (Frozen Bubble), but that shouldn't stop you from using it if you like it. On the plus side, CPAN is huge, and could be a real asset.

That is a cool tidbit I didn't know since I've played that game quite a bit under Linux!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I think Perl is more widely used amongst browser-based games.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement