• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AcidZombie24

enumerating files on linux, readdir?

This topic is 3790 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey guys i am trying to enum through files and getting name, size and basic attributes (mainly if its a directory or a file) How do i do this? i manage to get the filename. I think i got directory or file correctly. However i cant figure out how to get the filesize. How do i do this? I know someone is going to say use boost, i am trying to do this w/o boost. For no good reason except as a learning exercise. Well, i have other reasons but none are as great.

Advertisement
You will probably want to look into sys/stat.h I will be honest with you, I have never used it before, but it looks like the Posix way to do it. You can also try the less pretty, probably slower, slightly hacky, standard C way.

long int getFileSize(const char * filename)
{
FILE * fp = NULL;
long int file_size = 0;

fp = fopen(filename, 'rb');
fseek(fp, 0, SEEK_END);
file_size = ftell(fp);
fclose(fp);

return file_size;
}

Heh, I think that will work :/ I would go the file stat way.

You're starting out correctly with opendir+readdir (assuming you know your initial file is a directory). I assume you're iterating through said directory and using the filenames found in the d_name field in the dirent structure.

This name can be used to construct a path to the file and then be passed to stat (or probably lstat). The resulting statbuf struct contains all of the information you're looking for. See description.

PS: If I remember correctly, the inode from the dirent structure can't be trusted under the Posix standard... If you need an inode for a file get it from stat.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!