Sign in to follow this  
krautrock

Extensible Architecture and Pluggable Factories

Hi all! :) I'm a new user and I hope to get along with you :P I've recently finished to code a little cross - platform game engine which presents some basic functions and I'm going to start a new ( i hope ) more advanced engine project now. The impossibility to add new extensions is one of the things I don't like of my current engine: it works quite well but, for example, it doesn't provide a method to add new resource without editing the renderer device code ( renderer works as a factory ). I've recently read some tutorials about pluggable factories and some articles such as "Self - Registering Plug-ins : an architecture for extensible software" which seem quite interesting. They provide a way to add new extensions to a factory class by letting classes auto - registering themselves. In this way I could add new classes/modules ( for example a new particle system or a new feature ) without editing anything. I think nebula device provides a similar system, but this engine is quite complex to understand.. I'm not talking about dynamic link libraries and dlls ! Have you implemented a similar feature in your engine .. ? How did you designed the extensible system .. ? Do you think it could be useful .. ? Where would you put a similar system ( resources, window classes, shaders ) .. ? Please give me some suggestions and help me find a solution to this architectural problems =) I think lots of coders would like to read some ideas to provide an extensible design in their engine architecture =) Thank you!! Bye!!

I think the architecture your referring to is indeed quite useful in some cases. (Although I'm a bit baffled why this can be published as a research article in 2005, but hey...).

Indeed, cases like image loaders can benefit from this architecture, since there is never a class that depends on all types of image loaders.
Likewise, I can image it working well for things like unit types, so instead of:
Unit *Network::createUnitMessage(NetMsg const &msg) {
switch(msg.unitType) {
case UNIT_ARCHER: return new Archer(msg);
case UNIT_CANNON: return new Cannon(msg);
case UNIT_KNIGHT: return new Knight(msg);
}
}
you could use those pluggable factories.
For things like shaders, or window classes I think beter alternatives exist.

Also, when you would implement this, take care of the problems associated with DLLs. In the article, a small paragraph says that it works with DLLs, since <code>registerThis</code> will be instantiated, but you also have to make sure you register your class with the EXE, not some static map in the DLL.

Thanks I understand but I've read about people who have programmed completely extensible engines ( no fixed factories etc )..
Has someone done a similar work ? How would you code this ? I've read part of nebula device code and I've seen it uses declareclass, registerclass and implementclass functions. Can you please tell me what are they supposed to do ?

[Edited by - krautrock on July 27, 2008 12:27:23 PM]