Does my game run on your computer?

Started by
19 comments, last by squashed_bug 15 years, 8 months ago
I've just uploaded the debug executable which can be found here. Just place it in the concer folder. The zip now also the contains the debug executable.

The executables are built with Visual C++ 2005 Express. The runtime library is set to "Multi-threaded DLL" or "Multi-threaded Debug DLL" for the debug build.
Advertisement
Mine crashed on the release version, using Vista 32bit.
If it helps, the program did create the log files log.txt, stderr.txt, stdout.txt, error_log.txt before crashing

And got this friendly message running the debug version:
"Application failed to start because side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

I'll save you all the weeks of trouble in DLL hell that I had wade through to get my program to run on another machine and say that you can't ship out a debug version of your program. Why? Cause something about copyrights on Visual Studio's debug DLLs that are needed for your program to run (in debug mode). I've tried looking for those DLLs, but it caused me so much pain... So much pain...* On the bright side, the runtime release DLLs are completely free? able to be redistributed freely!

So, get your release version working, and ship it out again! :) I look forward to trying out your game!

*I then gave up and decided fixing up the release version, and after a couple of hours I learned that assert statements are stripped from the release build... And I had inline'd some important code in it... ( ie: assert( m_graphics_engine = new graphics); ) Then it worked... And it ran fast.

[Edited by - _fastcall on July 28, 2008 12:23:31 AM]
Well I installed fresh copy of XP and "successfully" got it to crash on that. I narrowed it down to IMG_Load() in the sdl_image library. After reading the documentation I found it required some other dlls. Why doesn't Dependency Walker show these other dlls I need (in particular libpng12-0.dll)???

So now at least I can see the title screen on a clean XP, but its crashing when I try to play. Maybe again I'm missing some dlls?

Quote:Original post by _fastcall

*I then gave up and decided fixing up the release version, and after a couple of hours I learned that assert statements are stripped from the release build... And I had inline'd some important code in it... ( ie: assert( m_graphics_engine = new graphics); ) Then it worked... And it ran fast.

That was my last headache :P
Ok after some fairly hectic printf debugging (Ive really got to learn how to debug a crash dump) I think it should be working. So again please be kind enough to give it another whirl!!!

Download it here

This time I havent included msvc*.dll. I have a feeling these may be platform specific? So if you don't have the visual c++ runtime libraries installed you can get them from here.
It works now. but it crashes a lot. the 1st time i was plaing it crashed when i had to use two grenades on that big jump (i couln'd read the hint fully cuz it crashed). than it always crashes on the beginning of the second level right after i jump over or fall into that hole (once i got teleported from the begging of the second level to that hole). log and error_log are empty
Doesn't crash for me, but I never got past the double concjump, it's been too long since I've played TFC.
Quote:Original post by MasterSlowPoke
Doesn't crash for me, but I never got past the double concjump, it's been too long since I've played TFC.

I miss my conc jumping sooo much :)

Quote:Original post by MasterSlowPoke

It will crash after that level, because there's only three levels (including tutorial level).

btw, great job on the game, squashed_bug!
Did it crash after the third level for you _fastcall? It should be looping back to the first (tutorial) level again.

At the moment I'm creating some more levels. So hopefully in a couple of days I'll be able to release a proper version.
it worked from level 1 to 2, 3, back to 1, then 2, 3, then crash..

it's quite funny so far :)
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement