//The attributes of the screen
const int SCREEN_WIDTH = 640;
const int SCREEN_HEIGHT = 480;
const int SCREEN_BPP = 32;

//The surfaces that will be used
SDL_Surface *message = NULL;
SDL_Surface *background = NULL;
SDL_Surface *screen = NULL;

SDL_Surface *load_image( std::string filename ) 
{
    //Temporary storage for the image that's loaded
    SDL_Surface* loadedImage = NULL;

//The optimized image that will be used
    SDL_Surface* optimizedImage = NULL;

//Load the image
    loadedImage = SDL_LoadBMP( filename.c_str() );

//If nothing went wrong in loading the image
    if( loadedImage != NULL )
    {
        //Create an optimized image
        optimizedImage = SDL_DisplayFormat( loadedImage );

//Free the old image
        SDL_FreeSurface( loadedImage );
    }

//Return the optimized image
    return optimizedImage;
}

void apply_surface( int x, int y, SDL_Surface* source, SDL_Surface* destination )
{
    //Make a temporary rectangle to hold the offsets
    SDL_Rect offset;

//Give the offsets to the rectangle
    offset.x = x;
    offset.y = y;

//Blit the surface
    SDL_BlitSurface( source, NULL, destination, &offset );
}

int main( int argc, char* args[] )
{
    //Initialize all SDL subsystems
    if( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING ) == -1 )
    {
        return 1;    
    }

//Set up the screen
    screen = SDL_SetVideoMode( SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, SCREEN_BPP, SDL_SWSURFACE );

//If there was an error in setting up the screen
    if( screen == NULL )
    {
        return 1;    
    }

//Set the window caption
    SDL_WM_SetCaption( "Hello World", NULL );

//Load the images
    message = load_image( "hello_world.bmp" );
    background = load_image( "background.bmp" );

//Apply the background to the screen
    apply_surface( 0, 0, background, screen );

//Apply the message to the screen
    apply_surface( 180, 140, message, screen );

//Update the screen
    if( SDL_Flip( screen ) == -1 )
    {
        return 1;    
    }

//Wait 2 seconds
    SDL_Delay( 2000 );

//Free the surfaces
    SDL_FreeSurface( message );
    SDL_FreeSurface( background );

//Quit SDL
    SDL_Quit();

return 0;    
}

I think some of you might be very familiar with this code. It was taken directly from Lazy Foo website. I got this compile error: Compiler: Default compiler Building Makefile: "C:\Dev-Cpp\Programming\SDL\Blitting Image\Makefile.win" Executing make... mingw32-make -f "C:\Dev-Cpp\Programming\SDL\Blitting Image\Makefile.win" all gcc.exe -c main.c -o main.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -Dmain=SDL_main main.c:17: error: syntax error before ':' token main.c: In function `load_image': main.c:26: error: `filename' undeclared (first use in this function) main.c:26: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once main.c:26: error: for each function it appears in.) mingw32-make: *** [main.o] Error 1 Execution terminated Can someone tell me what did I do wrong? I know the variable "filename" is undeclared, but have little idea how to correct it. And I have no idea why do we need this SDL_Surface *load_image() function in the code. Any help would be greatly appreciated :) edit : how do I put the code in code box? [Edited by - red_4900 on August 2, 2008 2:02:17 PM]
Advertisement
I think your problem is you need to take off the .h in #include <string.h>

string.h is a deprecated header and std strings are I believe are only in string (with out the h).

So, change this
#include <string.h>
to this
#include <string>
Black CloakEpee Engine.
std::string is a 'C++' variable type, yet you use appear to be coding in 'C'.

Solution: If using 'C++', change #include <string.h> to #include <string>. The 'string.h' is the 'C' version, I believe, while 'string' is the 'C++' edition of the standard library.

If you are using 'C', you can't use std::string. Instead, change std::string to char*, and change this line...
loadedImage = SDL_LoadBMP( filename.c_str() );
to this line:
loadedImage = SDL_LoadBMP( filename );

Furthermore, make sure you link properly the the SDL library. If you need help doing this, just ask, but first figure out whether you are coding in 'C' or 'C++' and remedy your code accordingly. (SDL works in both languages)
okey.that works.now for a question that went a bit out of topic actually.I can compile and run the program just fine from my IDE(Dev-Cpp).But I can open the program outside the IDE,it will gives this error : "This application has failed to start because SDL.dll was not found.Re-installing the application may fix the problem.".how do I fix this?
you need to put the SDL.dll in the same directory as your exe.
Black CloakEpee Engine.
I tried to re-write the same code.little has been changed from the last time.

#include"SDL/SDL.h"#include&lt;string&gt;using namespace std;//function prototypeSDL_Surface* load_image(string filename);void apply_surface(int x,int y,SDL_Surface* source,SDL_Surface* destination);int main(int argc,char* args[]){    SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING();        //initialize SDL subsystem        SDL_Surface* back=NULL;    SDL_Surface* front=NULL;    SDL_Surface* screen=NULL;        //set windows    screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(640,480,32,SDL_SWSURFACE);    SDL_WM_SetCaption("Testing",NULL);        //load image    front = load_image("hello_world.bmp");    back = load_image("background.bmp");        //apply image to windows's screen    apply_surface(0,0,back,screen);    apply_surface(150,100,front,screen);        //flip the screen from inside memory to the screen    SDL_Flip(screen);        //free memory    SDL_FreeSurface(front);    SDL_FreeSurface(back);        SDL_Delay(5000);        //quit SDL    SDL_Quit();    return 0;    }    SDL_Surface *load_image(string filename){            //create 2 surfaces, initialize both to NULL            SDL_Surface *loadedImage = NULL;            SDL_Surface *optImage = NULL;                        //load image to surface            loadedImage = SDL_LoadBMP(filename.c_str());                        //convert image for it to be of the same format as the screen            if(loadedImage!=NULL){                                  optImage = SDL_DisplayFormat(loadedImage);                                  SDL_FreeSurface(loadedImage);                                  }            return optImage;      //return optimized image            }            void apply_surface(int x,int y,SDL_Surface* source,SDL_Surface* destination){     //create a rectangular offset     SDL_Rect offset;          //offset coordinate     offset.x=x;     offset.y=y;          //blit to surface     SDL_BlitSurface(source,NULL,destination,&offset);     }

and I get this error?
Compiler: Default compiler
Building Makefile: "C:\Dev-Cpp\Programming\SDL\Blitting image 2\Makefile.win"
Executing make...
mingw32-make -f "C:\Dev-Cpp\Programming\SDL\Blitting image 2\Makefile.win" all
gcc.exe -c Untitled1.cpp -o Untitled1.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include"

gcc.exe Untitled1.o -o "Project1.exe" -L"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib" -mwindows -lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL

Untitled1.o(.text+0xf):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x96):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::allocator()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0xb7):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator<char> const&)'
Untitled1.o(.text+0xec):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x10c):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x125):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x151):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x15c):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::allocator()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x17d):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator<char> const&)'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x1ea):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x20a):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x223):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x24f):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x30b):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::string::c_str() const'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

mingw32-make: *** [Project1.exe] Error 1

Execution terminated

can someone tell me what have I done wrong?

[Edited by - red_4900 on August 2, 2008 1:08:44 PM]
The very first line of function 'main', you have this:
SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING();

SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING is not a function. It's a const, enum, or #define. (You'll learn about these later, but they aren't functions)

What you want, is to replace it with: SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING);

Other than that, it compiles fine on my computer. (Make sure to link to SDL!)

Also, you can post code in [ source ] and [ /source ] boxes, to have it show up neater.
#include"SDL/SDL.h"#include<string>using namespace std;//function prototypeSDL_Surface* load_image(string filename);void apply_surface(int x,int y,SDL_Surface* source,SDL_Surface* destination);int main(int argc,char* args[]){    SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING);        //initialize SDL subsystem        SDL_Surface* back=NULL;    SDL_Surface* front=NULL;    SDL_Surface* screen=NULL;        //set windows    screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(640,480,32,SDL_SWSURFACE);    SDL_WM_SetCaption("Testing",NULL);        //load image    front = load_image("hello_world.bmp");    back = load_image("background.bmp");        //apply image to windows's screen    apply_surface(0,0,back,screen);    apply_surface(150,100,front,screen);        //flip the screen from inside memory to the screen    SDL_Flip(screen);        SDL_Delay(5000);        //free memory    SDL_FreeSurface(front);    SDL_FreeSurface(back);        //quit SDL    SDL_Quit();    return 0;    }    SDL_Surface* load_image(string filename){            //create 2 surfaces, initialize both to NULL            SDL_Surface *loadedImage = NULL;            SDL_Surface *optImage = NULL;                        //load image to surface            loadedImage = SDL_LoadBMP(filename.c_str());                        //convert image for it to be of the same format as the screen            if(loadedImage!=NULL){                                  optImage = SDL_DisplayFormat(loadedImage);                                  SDL_FreeSurface(loadedImage);                                  }            return optImage;      //return optimized image            }            void apply_surface(int x,int y,SDL_Surface* source,SDL_Surface* destination){     //create a rectangular offset     SDL_Rect offset;          //offset coordinate     offset.x=x;     offset.y=y;          //blit to surface     SDL_BlitSurface(source,NULL,destination,&offset);     }

I'm still getting this error?
Compiler: Default compiler
Building Makefile: "C:\Dev-Cpp\Programming\SDL\Blitting image 2\Makefile.win"
Executing make...
mingw32-make -f "C:\Dev-Cpp\Programming\SDL\Blitting image 2\Makefile.win" all
gcc.exe -c Untitled1.cpp -o Untitled1.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include"

gcc.exe Untitled1.o -o "Project1.exe" -L"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib" -mwindows -lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL

Untitled1.o(.text+0xf):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'
Untitled1.o(.text+0xa2):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::allocator()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0xc3):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator<char> const&)'
Untitled1.o(.text+0xf8):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x118):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x131):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x15d):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x168):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::allocator()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x189):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator<char> const&)'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x1f6):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x216):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x22f):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x25b):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'
Untitled1.o(.text+0x317):Untitled1.cpp: undefined reference to `std::string::c_str() const'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

mingw32-make: *** [Project1.exe] Error 1

Execution terminated

I don't think the problem lies with SDL.what the heck is all the error about "std::".
I don't know what's going wrong, but when I googled your error, other posts with the same problem came up. (Example)

The solution seems to be to add this: -lstdc++ to your linker. (Read the linked thread to see why) Hopefully that solves it? If not, you'll need someone who actually understands these things. [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement