Sign in to follow this  
Liort

Animation on XNA

Hello all! Can u share with me what are the best or better to say most popular ways to do animation on the XNA framework? What kinds of libraries are around? i've already found a few on the net... (i'm talking about both 2d and 3d). Any other valuable info on this subject ? reading material or any valuable websites? Thanks! Lior Tal

Quote:
Original post by Liort
Hello all!

Can u share with me what are the best or better to say most popular ways to do animation on the XNA framework?

What kinds of libraries are around? i've already found a few on the net... (i'm talking about both 2d and 3d).

Any other valuable info on this subject ? reading material or any valuable websites?

Thanks!
Lior Tal

have you tried looking at the thousands of examples and tutorials on the xna site?

1. I've checked the XNA Creators Club site. they have some nice stuff, but i think not enough info about animation.

2. When i say animation - offcourse this involves translate/rotate, however i meant a little further up in the hierarchy - building systems to perform these actions - how does one create a character animation? what are the best approaches to this ?

Well Skeletal animation (animating a character) is done with bones in the modeler which then the programmer pulls them from the mesh into the code. In Xna this can be done with Bruno's XNA Animation library quite nicely.

Clicky

How do IK and FK and other methods relate here?

Are they just higher-order systems for controlling and animating models?

It seems to me that it'd be a very uneasy task to create complex animation by controlling each bone seperately and telling it how to transform...

Moreover how does one control this ? how are individual animations stored and loaded when needed?

The most common method of creating characters and animations is outside of DirectX; i.e., by using a modeling program such as XSI or Max. Those programs support IK and FK maniupulations. You create the character, it's skeleton and animations in those programs, export appropriate files in some format you can use and load those into your app.

If you are willing to spend 60$ and spend a few hours watching some training material I highly suggest you take a look at Digital Tutors - Pipeline Development with Maya and XNA altho geared for Maya the same principles apply to Max/XSI/ect .. They do a great job with this and also show you how to build a decent Animation Player for playing back the keyframe animation clips you do inside your modeling application. Hopefully this helps.