Sign in to follow this  
xxxZOMBIExxxx

new to design, need some help plz

hey I'm xxxZOMBIExxxx, and I have been a lover of video games ever since that fateful day I first played super nintendo. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I want to take up game design as a career. more specifically, the design and creation of levels and maps (I have zero interest in programming, but I might learn some on the way just to broaden my knowledge). there are tons of games with editors and stuff out there,but what I need to know is......were the heck do I start? if im interested in environment design, what do I need, and what do I need to do? sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance. Zomby

Fire up the editor and start making levels? For Unreal there is the UDN (unreal developer's network) and for the Source engine (all of valve's stuff) there is the valve developer forums. There are tons of resources available. Just pick one and follow one of the gazillion tutorials available. Buzz3d.com has a ton of freely available videos for Unreal development.

Oh, if you want to do level development you're probably going to have to learn at least a little bit of programming. Want this door to activate due to this trigger? You're going to need some sort of script for that.