Sign in to follow this  
sofakng

What's the best 2D library/engine available? (eg. is XNA/C# right for me?)

I've been fooling around with game development for a couple of years but I've never done anything above displaying a sprite with simple box collision detection but I've always really wanted to create a Worms clone (and other 2D type of games) and I've been struggling with the decision of whether or not to use XNA/C#. I really, really like C# as a language (espicially with all of the prewritten utility classes, etc) but I dislike that it's 100% Microsoft specific, requires extra runtime binaries and cannot be run (in most cases) on other platforms except for the 360 and Windows. However, it seems like C++ is still by far the most popular language for game development (even very simple indie/hobbyist games). I know the very basics of C++ and most intermediate concepts aren't hard to learn once you know another language (eg. I know Delphi [using OOP] fairly well) it's not too difficult to tranfer your skills. Really though, all I want is something easy to use that will handle collision detection (eg. quad, circle, polygon), sprite drawing, and network management. However when it comes to creating high-resolution 2D destructable terrain it gets extremely difficult and I end of quitting my project and networking objects just gets extremely difficult even at the basic level. (I know that RakNet exists and can pretty much handle automatic object synchronization but it seems like NOTHING else exists like that). Anyways, I'm just wondering what the general opinion is for new hobbyist/indie game programmers. (not new programmers, but intermediate-level programmers wanting to create very simple games that will probably never, never make it to market). I've purchased several game engines: TGE, TGB, and BlitzMax, but all of them seem to fall short with two things: networking and Worms-style high-resolution (1920x1200 with multiple screens) terrain implementation. What are the general options for something like this? I absolutely do not want to make a single-player game... whatever I create needs to be multiplayer over the internet, etc. Thanks for any suggestions!

C# is not Microsoft specific. Look up Mono project on google. They are gaining ground in the .NET world. Now XNA on the other hand is Microsoft specific as you are only able to run it on Windows, Zune, and XBox360. I find XNA to suit beginners very well though. There is massive amounts of tutorials and help out there and a majority of it is at www.creators.xna.com . You should try it out and see if it fits your style and if it does stick with it, but if not try out SlimDX. Some of the people on the forums created SlimDX which is a .NET wrapper around the DirectX. Good Luck to you!