Question about DS

Started by
2 comments, last by ukdeveloper 15 years, 8 months ago
Hello YoungOne92 here, I'm wondering what type of language does it take to create nintendo ds games. Can it be done in C++? Also could someone provide me with a link with some info on this subject. Many Thanks YoungOne92
Advertisement
Yes, DS programming can be done in C++. However you cannot sell it, you have to have the proper libraries, and you have to buy this little device to upload the game onto to play it on the DS. :/
Lemme find the link:

You might find everything you need here. :]

~Maverick
Holy crap, you can read!
You can use C, C++, ASM etc. devkitPro is what you need to download to start coding, its easy enough to setup any IDE (Visual Studio for example) to use it. devkitPro also comes with a set of examples on how to use sound, touch screen, backgrounds etc.

Other good links include the Forums and the DS specs.

Edit:

If you want to run on hardware you'll need a pass card or modified firmware to boot a rom over wifi. Otherwise you can easily develop using a good emulator, no$gba runs all of my roms perfectly so far.
Quote:Original post by YoungOne92
Hello YoungOne92 here,

I'm wondering what type of language does it take to create nintendo ds games. Can it be done in C++? Also could someone provide me with a link with some info on this subject.
Many Thanks
YoungOne92

It depends on whether or not you want to make official games or homebrew stuff. The official games require a load of nasty paperwork with Nintendo, followed by an official DS development kit and the DS SDK. It costs a fair bit and generally independent hobbyists aren't ever given that kind of stuff.

The iffy homebrew option is your best bet, plus it gives you complete control over what you do :) The homebrew community is really active and helpful so if you get stuck help is never far away.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement