Sign in to follow this  
jdub

Beginning X86 assembly

I'm Looking to do a bit of x86 assembly language using the book "Assembly Language Step by Step" by Jeff Duntemann. My questions: 1) I am running a T7300 Duo core computer and I am wondering how having 2 cores will change assembly programming? 2) I am running Windows Vista Premium 32bit. Will I still be able to program with the Real Mode Segmented model of memory?

Quote:
Original post by jdub
Dang. Could I program in segmented mode by emulating DOS through the command line tool or just not at all?

If you want to compile into a 16 bit DOS executable, sure, you could do it. The question though is why would you?

While I realize the book you're using covers DOS (hence, why it would use real mode), use it as a stepping stone to learning the basics about 8086 assembly. It's missing a lot of necessary information you'd need to get a good grasp, but for a starting point, I think you could do just fine without the need to access real mode. Once you see that you need the memory, ask yourself, is using assembly the correct approach (more often than not, it isn't), and if it is, is it time to step up to a modern version of x86 assembly?

Remember, machines change, and even basic instructions such as MOV change with the machines. IE: Where once MOV for specific instructions might have been better, on newer machines, LEA can do the job better.

Quote:
Original post by jdub
Dang. Could I program in segmented mode by emulating DOS through the command line tool or just not at all?

YMMV but it's going to be hit or miss but at least some of it may work unlike 64bit editions that don't support NTVDM at all!

Q10 Why can't I write directly to video memory under Windows NT, 2000, or XP?
These versions of MS-Windows run MS-DOS applications in Virtual-8086 mode, which is a variant under Protected mode. In this mode, you cannot write directly to video memory. However, you can write to video memory when running Windows 95, 98, and Millenium.

The other workaround, as other posters suggested, is to use a DOS emulation
such as Virtual PC or DosBox.