Sign in to follow this  
Zuero

2D RPG Help/Advice

I have about a month of C++ experience and have usually done nothing other than practicing C++ by creating very short and simple text based Role Playing Games. And I wanted to ask for some help or advice if you will. I just wanted to get peoples advice on what approach to take for the Development of a 2D RPG like in the style of Final Fantasy. Does anyone know of any tutorials or other articles that simply discusses mostly different classes for an RPG such as Quests, Weapons, armor etc. And all that good stuff that are found in Role Playing Games. Note: I am not asking for a tutorial that will explain how to create an RPG (Thought that would be nice) I am simply looking for one that explains the aspects and approaches to programming a 2D RPG in C++.

There is an enitre resource section on this web site full of the kinds of information you will find useful, and searching google usually also yields results.

My advice though, is to seperate "2d rpg" into "2d" and "rpg". Once you've figured out how to get some 2d graphics, you can make any type of game, not just rpgs. Personally I use Direct3D's sprite interface to render my 2d gfx, but if you've only had about a month of c++, some of the code might seem quite daunting.