DX9 SDK

Started by
5 comments, last by MJP 15 years, 8 months ago
If I just download the latest SDK, June 2008, this is for DX10, yes? The MS download site isn't being too helpful helping figure out which is the latest DX9 SDK, since they release SDKs by date instead of version - the only SDK which is definitively labelled as DX9 is from 2002! This is the list I'm looking through, can anyone tell me which one I should get? Thanks, and sorry if it's a dumb question.
Advertisement
The latest SDK includes D3D9 as well as D3D10(.1) headers, libraries, samples and documentation.

Niko Suni

June 2008 is the latest (I think) SDK I'm using and it does include DX10 (samples at least, so I'd assume the rest is there).
Quote:Original post by Nik02
The latest SDK includes D3D9 as well as D3D10(.1) headers, libraries, samples and documentation.

Yes, if you only want to use directX 9, you'll be fine with the latest (June 08) SDK as Nik02 says.
Quote:Original post by d000hg
The MS download site isn't being too helpful helping figure out which is the latest DX9 SDK, since they release SDKs by date instead of version
Unfortunately you're trying to search using the "wrong" information here. It isn't particularly intuitive if you're not familiar with the DX landscape.

The idea of a versioned number of the SDK isn't very accurate as there are a mix of components from at least 4 revisions of the API (5 in November) so calling it v9 is as wrong as calling it v10...

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

To clarify before downloading, does the most current SDK include the DX9 stuff (documentation & samples) as a separate unit? It would be annoying if it's a composite resource, since I have no interest in DX10.
Quote:Original post by d000hg
To clarify before downloading, does the most current SDK include the DX9 stuff (documentation & samples) as a separate unit? It would be annoying if it's a composite resource, since I have no interest in DX10.

The D3D9 and D3D10 documentation are in the same file, but have separate sections. The samples are in separate folders, and if you use the sample browser you can set it to filter out all the D3D10 samples.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement