Angel Script a real alternative?

Started by
13 comments, last by DvDmanDT 15 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, I just started a new game and I would like to know if AS is a good alternative to lua (the one I have being using until now). I like a lot of features of AS, one of the most is the little binding coding needed (lua is a pain in the ass). In the other hand I see little support, and no games made with it, so I don´t know what to do. Could anybody give any tip on this please? Thanks in advance, HexDump.
Advertisement
I've just implement it, and I'm very happy with it. No problems so far. And it is being actively developed (tho this could be taken as a pro or a con depending on how much do you feel to do mantainance work on your side, because there are occasional api changes). I don't regret my decission of choosing it over Lua.
I would chose python, easier than lua, but it's more hard to sandbox
Well I finally selected Squirrel, it seems pretty nice, with a nice binder (sqplus).

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.
Hello, Im just a noob when it comes to game programming, right now i'm just teaching myself C++. I would like to know how scripting languages are used, are they used in the C++ code??? Are they implemented inside the game engine??? I really just want to know how you use scripting languages for games.
-----------------------------------------"With the mind, anything is possible"
Quote:I would like to know how scripting languages are used, are they used in the C++ code???

Not directly. The C++ code generally will kick off some action within the script, but that's it.

Quote:Are they implemented inside the game engine???

Yes.

Quote:I really just want to know how you use scripting languages for games.

The C++ code sometimes will be responsible for creating and managing objects, sometimes the script will be. Sometimes C++ may only be a thin layer between the code and the operating system, other times scripts may be small chunks of code relative to the amount of C++. Where the line is drawn between C++ and scripts is dependent on the game's design.
Quote:Original post by niteice
Quote:I would like to know how scripting languages are used, are they used in the C++ code???

Not directly. The C++ code generally will kick off some action within the script, but that's it.

Quote:Are they implemented inside the game engine???

Yes.

Quote:I really just want to know how you use scripting languages for games.

The C++ code sometimes will be responsible for creating and managing objects, sometimes the script will be. Sometimes C++ may only be a thin layer between the code and the operating system, other times scripts may be small chunks of code relative to the amount of C++. Where the line is drawn between C++ and scripts is dependent on the game's design.

Ok, but like, where do the programmers actually place the scripting code, like lets say you're using MS visual studio, could you make an open gl project or something and also incorporate a scripting language into the IDE and use it in the project???

Languages are generally available as a static (.lib) or dynamic (.dll) library that you link against, some (Lua, for instance) are small enough that you can add the source files directly to your project.
After you've linked to the library, you'll include the main header file and then you can use every function from that library. If you've got the sourcecode, you can also add the files directly and compile it for yourself. I've done it like that before, however I've got sick of unintentionally recompiling the language for the x-th time :)
Moreover, if you're using lua or angelscript (maybe there are others as well) you can enable syntax highlighting for visual studio very easily, so you can edit the files directly in MSVS.

But I think, before you incorporate a scripting language into your project, make another (preferably console) project and test the language their to get familiar with it. It's very easy to integrate the scripting language after you understand how it works.
So... do the developer consoles that games like half-life, quake, unreal, and others use a scripting language? And does that allow them to edit variables of different things such as bullet speeds and damage on the fly without having to rebuild everything???

And if so, How do they make a console for a game(in generalization)???

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement