Releasing a game

Started by
4 comments, last by V-man 15 years, 8 months ago
I'm not sure if this is the best forum. Has anyone released a hobby game and made money from it? Obviously, it would be developed for Windows, Linux, Mac but not the consoles. You would sell it for less than 10$ or something. How about Garage Games? Are there other ways to sell? Other websites?
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Advertisement
Are you asking this because you are just curious or do you actually have a good game almost completed? I would say make a basic website with a forum and other information with a free download for its beta testing and then work from there on making it more into a community and working out a payment plan. This is a 100% guess though since I have never tried anything like this.
www.gameproducer.net Has a lot of info related to indie game development, marketing, and releasing indie games.

Cheers
If you gave a helpful reply, I rated you up.
The business forum might be a better match for this as it's more of a distribution and marketing question.

I'd recommend getting a copy of The Indie Game Development Survival Guide; it's got answers to all the general questions about indie development in there including how to make money from the distribution.

I'd also reconsider planning to sell your game for less than $10. Selling cheaper doesn't necessarily equate higher profits, and your game might end up looking inferior if you price it too low.
I'd recommend visiting the Indie Gamer Forums. There's lots of info and experienced people there, many of which make a living from games like these.
Thanks for the input guys.
I'll check out the other forums mentioned.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement