Problem with a book I bought...

Started by
13 comments, last by nooblet 15 years, 8 months ago
Hey everyone,     I bought a book recently called "Microsoft Visual Basic Game Programming for teens" , and read some of it before trying it out. Well, it turns out that it uses the Visual 6.0 compiler, and it doesn't support any other compilers. I haven't tested any of the code with the express edition that I have, but is Visual Basic 6.0 free? Or does it require a payment? I was searching for it a while back and read that Microsoft doesn't support it anymore, so what am I supposed to do? Thanks in advanced,    -nooblet [Edited by - nooblet on July 28, 2008 2:32:03 PM]
Advertisement
Okay, thank you. Will it still compile just as easy?
You guys are talking about two different things, the topic creator is talking about Visual Basic, you are talking about Visual C++. From what I have heard, and seen, Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual Basic .NET are completely different languages. Hardly compatible at all. I would get my money back if I were you.

EDIT: The reason why is that Visual Basic 6.0 is basically dead, no one really uses it, Visual Basic .NET is that much better.
Try:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vb/

I know nothing at all about Visual Basic, so I have no idea how hard it would be to convert VB6.0 projects to 2008 EE. Either way, it sounds like you bought a very old book as VB6.0 was released 10 years ago, and I believe MS does not even support this compiler anymore.
Well this sucks, I got it as a birthday present and I can't return it because I opened the CD, which makes it non-returnable. Here is the link of the exact thing I bought, any reviews?

EDIT: Added the book that I am talking about link.

LINK

BOOK LINK

[Edited by - nooblet on July 28, 2008 3:58:47 PM]
It's strange that is uses Visual Basic 6 - According to that site it was published in 2005.
It's been a few years since I messed around with Visual Basic, but I think if you open a Visual Basic 6 project in Visual Basic Express it will do a project conversion. I don't think it is 100%, but it'd be a start.

There was a pretty big change in the Visual Basic language from 6 to .net to make it compatible with the other managed languages.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
It loooks like you purchased your book from barnes and noble, not to knock your birthday present, but you could have gotten it a lot cheaper on www.amazon.com
So in the future it might be better to purchase from amazon because it is cheaper. Amazon lists the book for $6+shipping and handleing, so It is like less than $10.

Good luck, and happy coding.
** boolean010 **
Quote:Original post by boolean010
It loooks like you purchased your book from barnes and noble, not to knock your birthday present, but you could have gotten it a lot cheaper on www.amazon.com
So in the future it might be better to purchase from amazon because it is cheaper. Amazon lists the book for $6+shipping and handleing, so It is like less than $10.

Before knocking the brilliance of the purchasing choices of the OP, it'd make sense to read his/her posts -
Quote:I got it as a birthday present

[Edited by - zer0wolf on July 28, 2008 3:27:21 PM]
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Might be of interest Upgrading VB6 Projects to VB.NET

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement