What are the minimal features a host needs?

Started by
8 comments, last by warthog518 15 years, 8 months ago
In a nutshell, the game I'm making is an arena shmup like geometry wars but instead the emphasis is on multiplayer combat. I'm going for being minimalistic, to just include the features to make the game fun. So nothing like stat keeping which isn't absolutely needed and would also give incentive to cheat. I don't play very many games online which is hampering me in making an online game. I'm trying to design the interface for the host and I want to make sure I have all the needed features for a game host. The basic game flow when a player creates a hosted game goes like this: -player creates game and plays in a free play mode. Basically it's a minigame type mode where they have infinite ammo, can switch between any weapon, and fire at respawning targets. -As other players join, they join in on the freeplay mode to shoot at each other along with the respawning targets -Once the minimum players required join in, the real game starts. This is set by the host -They play until the kill/round limit is reached -Players return to free play mode until the host starts another game Designing the client is easy because they basically have the option of playing or leaving. Right now I'm trying to make sure the host has all the needed menu options. Current Menu Options: -Start Game: Option appears while in free play mode and host sets a high min player and decides they want to start the game now -End Game: Option appears while mid game and host want to start a new game -Ban Client: self explanatory -Kick Client: also self explanatory -Close Room: player no longer wants to host a game. Anything I'm forgetting or any online annoyances I should take into account?

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Advertisement
Pause game can be useful.
Password - only players with password can join the room to allow host to create private games among friends.

Ready - all players host included can click this to indicate they are ready, when all ready buttons are clicked game starts.

Force start - only host has it to start the game even when other players have not clicked their ready button.
Gah, I can't believe I forgot the puase feature for local battles.

Limiting amount of players is something that might be nice to have around.
I've always found stats to be fun. Adds longevity to the game IMO.
Stats are nice but they encourage cheating, and time I spend trying to prevent stat hacking is time spent away from working on game play balance and latency compensation.

Oh and player limits, passwording, and player preps all happen in the "Match Creating/Joining" stage. What I'm working on is what happens when you're actually in a battle.

Quote:Original post by DigitalSavior

Maybe a locally stored record of number of wins and losses would be nice though, and doesn't encourage cheating like online stats.
Quote:Original post by DigitalSavior

Maybe a locally stored record of number of wins and losses would be nice though, and doesn't encourage cheating like online stats.
Hmph...
1. Win/loss record should be easy to implement, simple mysql... but it encourages hackers

2.Kicking is necesssary, but shold only be avail at waiting room
a report system would be nice... if you are using direct3d, its very easy to take a screenshot... also, idk how but you have to be able to prevent abuse of kicking

3. room title change?

4. password-guarded-room

5. ability to change game variables... well i mean like player numbers, game mode? not sure what game ur writing

6. invite? matters what game ur writing

7. game start, of course... but all users have to be ready

8. the ability to be auto kicked after 20 seconds of not starting the game ... when they can start the game (Not optional, important)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement