Sign in to follow this  
wforl

Keyboard skills

Ive noticed that a lot of programmers rarely use the mouse when jumping around in their IDE. I know that most of the keyboard commands apply to most Text apps, but was wondering if anyone knew of a page or something that displays these keyboard commands. Basically i want to improve my keyboard navigation skills, not so much the specific VS studio commands, but the navigation around text commands. Thanks

Quote:
Original post by wforl
I know that most of the keyboard commands apply to most Text apps, but was wondering if anyone knew of a page or something that displays these keyboard commands.

Nope: different editors usually have different setups (though some editors may mimic others, and products of a given family may be quite similar). The best starting point is to look through your editor menus, which generally list the shortcuts (either in a Ctrl-x fashion or in an Alt-x-y-z fashion).

An example of differences is this: in emacs, you move from one code window to another using C-x o, you split windows using C-x 2 and C-x 3, and you change the content of a window using either C-x b (if the file is already open) or C-x C-f if you need to open a file. By contrast, in Visual C++, moving from one window to another and shuffling through open buffers is done with Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab, you open files with Ctrl-o, and I cannot seem to remember the keys for splitting your windows.

Of course, you have common behavior for keys such as PageUp and PageDown (moves up and down in the file), Home (move to beginning of line) and End (moves to end of line). Tab sometimes adds a tab character (or the equivalent number of spaces), sometimes indents the selection one unit to the right, and sometimes adds or removes initial spaces to match the automatic indentation. In the end, there's not a lot of common elements.