overloading macro

Started by
13 comments, last by nlbs 15 years, 8 months ago
I've a macro called $_SESSION() and if one argument is passed to it it will invoke the getter method and if two arguments has been passed it will invoke the setter
Advertisement
The '$' prefix leads me to believe that you're dealing with PERL, PHP or an SH variant. Since PHP and SH have no macros and PERL 6 macros don't look like that, I'm left to wonder, what are you talking about?

no I want to make a $_SESSION() macro which will behave like PHP's $_SESSION and abstract other Complex CGI Librery method Calls
In which language?

Going out on a limb and assuming C or C++, it's not possible. First the name cannot start with $, and secondly macros cannot be overloaded.
Right. That's not much better, but at least we got something to work with:
function session(){  $args = func_get_args();  if (count($args) == 1) return get_value($args[0]);   if (count($args) == 2) return set_value($args[0], $args[1]);  assert (false);}// Warning: not a superglobal!$_MY_SESSION = 'session';
Man why you are not understanding

#define $_SESSION(k) session::get(k)
#define $_SESSIOn(k, v) session::add(k, v)

but compiler warns that multiple defenition of $_SESSION macro

C++ doesn't forbids macros starting with $
Quote:Original post by nlbs
Well, it's been five messages already in this thread, and even though I mentioned in the first message that you didn't specify the language you were enquiring about, you've waited until now to mention C++. Why have you not mentioned that earlier, thereby saving me the wasted time of proposing a PHP solution?

Seriously, you're just wasting everyone's time. The reason why you don't get the correct answer is because you suck at asking questions.

Quote:but compiler warns that multiple defenition of $_SESSION macro

Macros cannot be overloaded. Use a different solution, for instance create a class with an overloaded operator[] returning an object with an impicit conversion (that calls get) and an assignment operator (that calls set).

Quote:C++ doesn't forbids macros starting with $
It does, '$' is only allowed as a microsoft extension.
Sorry as its mainly a C++ forum I thought its not required to say C++ explecitely

ok so if it cant be overloaded how can i make a macro that can accept one argument as well as two argument too.

I am using g++ and I've 4-5 macro's already running well who's name starts with $ sign.
Quote:

Don't be rude to people trying to help you. You're original questions are far too vague; we don't read minds here.

Quote:
but compiler warns that multiple defenition of $_SESSION macro

Because you cannot overload macros. They are part of the preprocessor, and exist for simple, naive textual substitution.

Quote:
ok so if it cant be overloaded how can i make a macro that can accept one argument as well as two argument too.

You can't, the macros have to have different names. You can also use a function (an actual, honest C++ function) which can be overloaded.

Quote:
C++ doesn't forbids macros starting with $...I am using g++ and I've 4-5 macro's already running well who's name starts with $ sign.

Yes it does, '$' is not in the basic source character set. Visual C++ and some other compilers (including GCC) will let you use the character in an identifier as a language extension. If you disable extensions then it should provide you with an error (if it doesn't, the compiler is non-compliant with the C++ standard on that point).
ok so if it cant be overloaded how can i make a macro that can accept one argument as well as two arguments too. with teh same name e.g. one optional argument

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement